Letter from the Editor: Find your tribe

MAGGIE QUINLAN | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Sports editor Katie Archer works on layout and trains Isaac Semmler, fall deputy sports editor, Sunday night in the Evergreen newsroom.

KATIE ARCHER, Evergreen reporter

Your experience at WSU will depend on what you make it.

Yes, Pullman is a different place to live but for the majority of students this is a temporary place to live. If you make the most of it, your years here can be memorable and impact the rest of your life.

I love small college towns. I grew up in Corvallis, Oregon, another small college town. I enjoy seeing the town get ready for a football game or the sudden increase in population when the students return for the next school year.

In my experience, small college towns tend to have a negative reputation for “not having anything to do.” This is something I have been guilty of saying.

I think that comes down to what you enjoy doing for fun, which might not exist in Pullman. I want to encourage you to try something new for fun. One good way to do that is by getting involved on campus, and I’m sure I’m not the first person to tell you that.

There are countless reasons why getting involved is important, and I think one of the biggest reasons is the tight-knit WSU community. It is rare for a university to have this type of community among students and alumni. I think it has a lot to do with the location and size of Pullman.

It might not be on your mind now, but after you leave college it’s hard to find a community. Once you become a Coug, you will always be a part of this community. No matter where you go in the world. You can use the WSU Alumni Association’s website to help you get connected as well.

The WSU community can help you find internships, jobs and other career-related experiences. Take advantage of the opportunities provided to you because there are a lot of them out there.

There are radio stations, clubs, faculty-led study abroad trips and The Daily Evergreen, to name a few ways to get involved on campus. Also, build good relationships with your peers because they may know or have connections to internships or jobs.

I came to WSU as a transfer student. After community college, I attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee. Things didn’t work out for me there, so I dropped out. I decided to finish my degree at WSU.

When I transferred to WSU, getting connected was a top priority of mine. I think one of the reasons why I dropped out of Tennessee was I never got involved. Only going to class and working will get boring. I know this because that is what I did as a student at Tennessee, and I don’t want that for you.

I want you to have an enjoyable time here at WSU. I want you to feel like you belong here because you do belong here. College is a great time. You get to grow and learn about yourself. You have the freedom to explore what you like to do for a career, and if you change your mind, that’s okay.

I think everyone has a chance to enjoy their time here at WSU. As I said before, WSU will only be what you make it.