Hate speech abuses free speech rights

Counter-protesters debate members of the College Republicans on Oct. 19 at the Trump Wall on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall.

GEANA JAVIER, Evergreen columnist

American liberties are founded on the crucial right to free speech. As a society, our members can thrive in the knowledge that we can freely express our opinions without government persecution.

Since all citizens enjoy the right to free speech, it is only fair that we respect each other’s views. You may not agree with what someone says or believes, but being respectful of their opinions is key to cordial conversation.

Just like our parents taught us — treat others the way you would like to be treated.

We’ve reached a time where political divisiveness has attained extreme levels. It is difficult to go an entire day without hearing or seeing anything about opposing political parties.

With conflict comes inflammatory rhetoric. This is where the fundamental right to freedom of speech is used as a shield for hate speech. There is a deeply ingrained line between expressing one’s opinion and conveying vile judgments.

Hate speech is any speech that “offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits,” according to the American Bar Association.

“A political opinion can only be valid if it’s allowed to be challenged,” President of the WSU Young Democrats Gavin Pielow said in an email. “Hate speech can be challenged, and its claimed merit can be disproved.”

When one’s political views align with politicians who condone, support and even spew hate speech, their views do not have to be respected; in fact, these views do not even have to be tolerated.

Why respect someone else’s political opinion when their opinion disrespects a person’s existence?

There is a common argument on the Republican side that hateful rhetoric must be respected on the basis of free speech and autonomy of one’s political views.

On Oct. 19, a GoFundMe for a “Trump wall” built by the WSU College Republicans was set up. The club cited free speech as a defense to construct this symbolic wall on the Glenn Terrell Mall.

While construction of the wall was legal, the act in and of itself encourages hateful politics.

During a campaign speech in June 2015, Trump stated that Mexico is not “sending their best people.”

“They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us,” he said. “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

These comments target an entire ethnic group, and paint them in a negative light. Trump merely disguised his racist opinions with immigration policies.

“It’s unfortunate but evident that intolerant social views can play a role in a person’s political views,” Pielow wrote.

Respect for freedom of speech is paramount to American liberty. But political views that tout violence and intolerance do not deserve acknowledgment of merit, on the basis that these views contain elements of hate speech.

Geana Javier is a sophomore economics major from Seattle. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.