Greek community offers valuable support

RICK FLORES | Daily Evergreen file

Students and community members line up around the Beta Theta Pi house to offer condolences after the death of fraternity member Dashiell Mortell.

GEANA JAVIER, Evergreen columnist

I am a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, and a close friend of mine was Brock Lindberg, 21-year-old student and Pi Kappa Phi brother found dead in his bedroom on Oct. 24, 2016.

The comfort I received from members of the Greek system helped me tremendously while processing my grief.

I have never dealt with the passing of a friend before, and my sorority sisters were there for me every step of the way. The feeling of having dozens of women offering a shoulder to cry on was surreal.

At Lindberg’s candlelight vigil, numerous Pi Kappa Phi brothers consoled me, as well as women from different sororities at WSU. We exchanged hugs and tears as we shared memories of Lindberg’s amazing time on this Earth.

Unfortunately, Lindberg’s vigil was not the last one held on Greek Row.

As students drove back to school for the spring semester, a number of traumatic losses occurred within the WSU student body.

Nineteen-year-old Dashiell Mortell, a brother of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, passed away on Jan. 7. More than 300 people attended Mortell’s candlelight vigil at the fraternity, and his brothers raised money to attend his memorial service.

Parker Ruehl, president of Beta Theta Pi, said they have received support from various chapters of the Greek community over the last few weeks.

“It never could have been possible without the help and support of the Greek system,” he said. “Even alumni of these chapters have been reaching out to us. It has just been awe-inspiring.”

People who choose to take oaths to a Greek organization also commit to exuding values of brotherhood and sisterhood, according to gogreek.wsu.edu. Our commitment to these organizations helps us bear in mind our responsibility to our fellow brothers or sisters.

As a community, we strive to uphold each other through respect and support, despite the different Greek letters of each house.

Tragedies, such as the passing of Dashiell Mortell and Brock Lindberg, show that Greek community members at WSU support one another in times of need.

According to WSU Delta Tau Delta’s official twitter account, Sigma Nu fraternity generously donated to Delt brother Kyle Nardon’s GoFundMe to help with the expenses of Nardon’s brain tumor diagnosis in September of 2016.

Amazing individuals in sororities and fraternities who display a strong commitment to fraternal values come together to show support in times of hardship.

Being in a sorority has allowed me to create lasting relationships with others in the Greek community, as well as solidifying my bond to my sisters.

Being in the Greek system means someone is always going to be there for you.

I can always find a familiar face to sit next to in classes, the walks to campus are a little less lonely and sharing meals with friends in my sorority boasts a sense of community.

Every chapter hosts bonding events called brotherhoods or sisterhoods. These events help us to connect with other members on a more personal level.

Since I became a part of a chapter much larger than myself, I have cultivated a sense of appreciation for the women around me.

I know that my sisters are there for me through the good, the bad and the ugly. I’ve heard endless reports from both men and women who share the same opinion as me during my time at WSU.

When trials and tribulations occur within the Greek system, the public is made aware of how we band together to support one another.

Being in Greek life fosters meaningful relationships on a day-to-day basis. Greeks are a unified student body, and we have shown that throughout our time here at WSU.

Geana Javier is a sophomore economics major from Seattle. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.