Get help looking for information abroad

There are plenty of ways to travel the world and learn at the same time

SPENCER ECHON

Studying abroad is an excellent chance to explore new cultures and broaden your worldview. Go to the study abroad office to get the resources to explore the world.

HALEY BRICKWEDEL

WSU’s Study Abroad website is full of information. This is the best place to start looking into many of the opportunities presented to students. However, too much information can be overwhelming and discouraging. 

The Office of International Programs Global Department offers study abroad. Giving students a chance to enhance a college degree, see the world, experience another culture, break out of routine and so much more.

The study abroad program can take a student around the world. The destinations are truly endless. There are programs offered in Spain, the United Kingdom, France, Australia and much more. 

“It was hard to figure out how to find a program but once I learned about the program finder, it was easy,” Pera Tran, a senior WSU double major in international business and management of information system, said.

The program finder is a special tool offered on the Study Abroad website. It can be used to help individual students look up the specific program, term and region. 

There are three main opportunities offered: faculty-led, provider and exchange programs.

Faculty-led programs are designed by the faculty specifically for students. They can take place all over the world, ranging from 10 days to a semester in length, giving students a chance to study, travel and live with other students. The facility-led programs are designed for the 300-400 class level and major specific. 

“I studied abroad in Brig, Switzerland on the faculty-led program. I was abroad for about three months and I extended my trip for two weeks after to travel,” Tran said.

Exchange programs are a chance for a student to take courses from a partner institution. This is a chance for a student to become involved in the local culture and explore. They are typically a semester to a year in length. Moreover, the university offers summer exchanges.

Provider programs are provided through organizations that work hand in hand with WSU. They may be a year, semester or summer adventure. The provider program often has a set number of openings. The sooner a student applies, the more likely they will get their preferred courses and housing options. 

A student can select a faculty-led, exchange or provider program based on their interests and major. There is a program for just about every major and country of interest. 

The Office of International Programs Global Department just gained a new director.  

Jake Babb, global learning advisor, said that the new director will chart a new path in the office.

Students have an opportunity to travel and continue their studies. Studying abroad presents a chance to learn about diverse cultures and expand experiences. Students can make new connections and friendships with other students and international faculty. 

“I think everyone should study abroad because there is a program out there for everyone. It is a unique experience that everyone should experience,” Tran said. 

Students are encouraged to take a chance, to transform their college experience. 

“Some of the best stories and transformation are from the students who step out of their comfort zone,” Babb said. 

It can be scary at first but the Office of International Programs Global Department is giving students a chance to take steps in the right direction. Look into studying abroad. With so many options there is opportunity out there for everyone.