‘One time fix’

ASWSU decides new executive appointees will serve as interim deputy directors

NICOLE LIU

Grace Hendrickson, member of the ASWSU Executive Board, advocates for an additional deputy director position within ASWSU’s Communications team, as the current three director struggle to hold down their tasks, during the ASWSU meeting, Wednesday evening, at the CUB.

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen editor-in-chief

The ASWSU Judicial Board decided to allow two members on its executive staff without senate confirmation during its Wednesday meeting, a decision that came after a bylaws hearing on Jan. 31.

The hearing examined if appointing Jajuan Jackson and Eric Martinez to the executive staff was constitutional even though they both were not confirmed by the senate, according to an Evergreen article

Associate Justice Isabella Spayd said rescinding a resignation will not be allowed under the constitution and bylaws. The board recommends both Jackson and Martinez to serve as interim deputy directors of communication until the senate confirms them.

“So moving forward, the rescission of resignations will not be allowed,” ASWSU Senator Hannah Martian said, “but it is being allowed in this case?” 

Spayd said the board decided to have Jackson and Martinez as interim deputy directors to accommodate the executive staff’s shortage in the communications team. 

“We have said that we’re not going to allow rescissions,” Spayd said. “In order to have this remedy, we’re allowing this as a one-time fix.”

The senate also voted against a proposal to add a third deputy director of communication.

Grace Hendrickson, chief of staff and finance, said they would allocate $1,600 of executive staff stipends for the proposed position. Having three deputies could make the communications team more effective, Hendrickson said.

“We have a pretty extensive capacity of students that we need to reach,” she said. “I think it would be a wise decision.”

The communications team consists of two deputy directors and one director of communication, according to the ASWSU website

Martian said her understanding with the communications team is that one person does a huge amount of work while the other two individuals do not. 

“There would not be a need for this fourth position if everyone is doing what they’re supposed to be doing,” she said.

Hendrickson said the fourth communications person could act as a campus liaison or public relations officer by working with the Registered Students Organizations office.

“It’s not something that’s happened in [the] ASWSU communications [team] in the past,” she said. “I think that could be an innovative way to engage a member of the communication team.”

The senate approved funding for events to be hosted by the Association for Bangladeshi Students and Scholars as well as the Society of Women Engineers.