WAZZU WEEKLY: Evergreen sports edition

Student journalists tell stories that matter

WSU forward Mouhamed Gueye drives to the hoop during an NCAA basketball game against UW, Feb. 11, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Last week, your Daily Evergreen sports section compiled our first spring 2023 sports edition.

It was a chance to tell stories that matter to the sports-loving community on the Palouse.

Check out some of Sports Evergreen’s featured stories.

Late Columbia River student honored with annual flag football game

BEAU BRADEN, Evergreen reporter • Feb. 16, 2023

Courtesy of Amanda Cowan, The Columbian
Hunter Pearson traverses a muddy Hockinson High School field in October 2016.

Evergreen reporter Beau Braden was friends and teammates with the late Hunter Pearson and shared how the Columbia River High School community honors the memory of Pearson every year through a flag football game called the HP Bowl.

University of Idaho dedicates indoor track to Lauren McCluskey

JOSIE GOODRICH, Reporter/Copy Editor • Feb. 16, 2023

COURTESY OF JILL MCCLUSKEY
Jill and Matt McCluskey pose in front of the Lauren McCluskey Track on July 14 in the Kibbie Dome.

Pullman High School grad Lauren McCluskey was murdered by a man she briefly dated in 2018 in Salt Lake City. McCluskey was a standout student-athlete and track star at PHS and a D-I athlete at University of Utah.

One of the track coaches at University of Idaho, where Lauren trained throughout her young career, decided he wanted to do something to honor Lauren’s memory. So he worked to rename the U of I track in Lauren’s honor.

Where’s the love? WSU student referee to rep West Coast

EMMETT-WALTER BRYZ-GORNIA, Evergreen photographer • Feb. 17, 2023

Courtesy of Zachary Nyhusmoen
Zachary Nyhusmoen will represent WSU and schools across the west coast at the Region IV National Intramural and Recreational Sports Association Regional Basketball Tournament Feb. 17–19 in Columbus, Missouri.

Zachary Nyhusmoen represented WSU and schools across the west coast at the Region IV National Intramural and Recreational Sports Association Regional Basketball Tournament in Columbus, Missouri over the weekend. Nyhusmoen is praised by his peers as an official who does his homework and then some.

Student-athlete and coach features

A senior center whose positive example and constant smile uplift her teammates.

a legacy Coug freshman looking to prove himself on the roster,

a record-breaking swimmer who used to hate swimming,

a promising transfer athlete looking to lead his team to Omaha,

a sophomore who is already the best player on her team and

a coach who built WSU wrestling into a premier club program with lofty goals.

These are all people Evergreen reporters had the privilege of speaking with recently. Hear their stories below.

Bella Murekatete uplifts her team through her infectious smile

WSU guard Johanna Teder (21) and center Bella Murekatete (55) celebrate after guard Grace Sarver blocks a shot during an NCAA women’s basketball game against LMU, Nov. 7.

Dylan Darling’s blood runs crimson and gray

Jewel’s journey: a steady climb

WSU tennis’ darling: Maxine Murphy

Attitude, Belief, Commitment: WSU’s Wrestling Coach Phil Burnett

COURTESY OF SUSAN BURNETT
Phil Burnett, coach of WSU wrestling poses next to the support WSU wrestling sign along Washington Highway 26.

Meet Sam Brown, new WSU transfer ready for his opportunity

NFL

A Coug is a world champion! Jaylen Watson and the Kansas City Chiefs beat Gardner Minshew, Andre Dillard and the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl. The ending was not the best but Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes built upon their already fantastic legacy. Also, the Burger King ad may have taken over NFL playoff broadcasts but not a single Super Bowl ad in 2023 made a deeper impact than ‘Whopper Whopper.’

The Legacy of Andy Reid

Mahomes’ greatness

Don’t worry 12s … not much longer 

NFL Super Bowl commercials keep getting worse

Chiefs conquer Eagles 38-35 in Super Bowl LVII

One play ruined a great Super Bowl 

NBA

Candace Parker set to make history at NBA All-Star game 

With LeBron becoming the NBAs all-time leading scorer, does he hold the GOAT title? 

FAITH THOMAS
Who is the Greatest of All Time in the NBA? Most consider either LeBron James or Michael Jordan to hold that title.

Hardwood Hypothesis Week 18: Who won the KD trade? 

NBA Trade Deadline: The west rises again

MLB

Baseball is back, but Roki Sasaki is someone you will not see for another couple of years.

GRACIE ROGERS
Roki Sasaki is one of Japan’s best players. In a couple of years, he could be a Seattle Mariner.

Japanese phenom Roki Sasaki is a name to remember

More from the Daily Evergreen

WSU club hockey’s playoff run ends abruptly 

MASON MARON
WSU running back Max Borghi (21) waves to camera while running onto the field before a college football game against the University of Arizona at Martin Stadium, Friday, Nov. 19, 2021, in Pullman, Wash.

My experience photographing football as a non-football fan

Crimson Girls place in the top 10 at Nationals 

COURTESY OF ANA TRINIDAD
The Crimson Girls placed seventh nationally in their jazz routine out of 32 teams in the country.

WSU volleyball banquet bittersweet for team 

The sports edition showcased what Sports Evergreen is all about and what we want to do week-in and week-out.

Thank you for reading and a huge shout out to the writers, photographers, illustrators, copy editors, our managing editor and our editor-in-chief for making the sports edition come to life.

Thank you for reading and go Cougs!