A Vocal Extravaganza of WSU choirs

WSU choirs host 38th annual concert for Family Weekend
DAILY EVERGREEN FILE
WSU singers perform at a past Vocal Extravaganza, Pullman, Wash.

As the parents of Cougars begin to pack their bags for the upcoming Family Weekend, the choirs of WSU await their arrival to perform the 38th annual Vocal Extravaganza at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Bryan Hall Theatre.

Matthew Myers, choral music education assistant professor, said there will be five different choral groups performing for the event. The groups are made up of the fall semester’s vocal ensembles: Opera Workshop, Chamber Singers, University Singers, Treble Choir and Concert Choir.

Opera Workshop will be performing scenes from operas instead of specific songs.

“WSU’s four other choirs will perform music about journeys and transportation, including pieces from many regions throughout the world,” Myers said.

The Vocal Extravaganza is one of WSU’s choral program’s largest concerts of the school year, Myers said.

“It’s held on Family Weekend so that singers’ families are able to hear them perform, and this usually results in a large audience of a few hundred patrons,” Myers said.

The songs being performed at this year’s vocal extravaganza are not the only songs that the choral program has been working on this semester, Myers said. The choirs are also working on other sets of music for upcoming performances.

The best way to support the choir programs here at WSU is to attend this year’s vocal extravaganza, Myers said. The event is free to attend and open to the public.