WSU volleyball senior spotlight: Magda Jehlárová

G.O.A.T. of WSU volleyball
Magda+Jehl%C3%A1rov%C3%A1+high-fives+a+young+fan+after+picking+up+a+win+over+Utah+at+home%2C+Oct.+13%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Magda Jehlárová high-fives a young fan after picking up a win over Utah at home, Oct. 13, in Pullman, Wash.

Remembering Magda Jehlárová at WSU will be quite the easy task, she is the greatest to ever play for the Cougs after all. Not only is she making history in her own program record books, but she is also making history in the Pac-12 and NCAA record books.

Her list of accomplishments and accolades is seemingly endless, as she broke onto the scene as the best freshman in the entire country and has not looked back since. 

Her accolades go as follows: 

• Pac-12 record 12 weekly awards 
  • 2019 AVCA National Freshman of the Year
  • 2019 AVCA Pacific North Freshman of the Year
  • 2019 Pac 12 Freshman of the Year
  • 2019 Pac 12 All-Freshman Team
  • 2019 Volleyballmag.com Freshman All-American
  • Three-time AVCA All-American, 2019 second-team, 2021 third-team, 2022 first-team
  • Four-time All-Pac 12 Honoree 
  • Four-time AVCA Pacific North All-Region First Team
  • Two-time CSC/CoSIDA Academic All-District 
  • Two-time Pac 12 Academic Honor Roll
  • 2022 CSC Academic All-American, second team
  • 2022 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year

All of those accomplishments are without mentioning her statistical dominance, which is where her true longevity and raw talent shine through. In blocks, kills and efficiency, she is either the best or among the best in program history, while not being too shabby at serving and her ability to stay on the court. 

The first all-time record she holds is in her total career blocks, as her 727 total blocks are not only a significant lead in WSU history, it is just 30 shy of the all-time Pac-12 record and 24 shy of the NCAA record for the rally scoring era (since 2001). 

Her 139 solo blocks are second in WSU history, but her 588 block assists are heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. 

Offensively, she has been just as dominant. Her 1,171 kills ranks her 10th all-time, but she is only one of two players in the top 10 who is hitting above .300% at .382%. Of those with at least 2,000 career attempts, her current percentage is 0.076% higher than the second-highest of .306%.

No one does it as efficiently and as effortlessly as Jehlárová, as she is clearly the only player with 1,000 kills and 700 blocks in a career, well on her way to finishing her career as the single most decorated player to come through WSU. 

Her 2023 season has been one of her best, especially on the offensive side. With 2.41 kills per set on a career-high .429% efficiency, she has taken a massive leap forward on that side of the ball in her final season. 

On the defensive side, she has remained consistent, once again over 1.4 blocks per set to sit near the top of the Pac-12 Conference.

Along with her athletic excellence, her academic performance has been quite impressive. Coming from an academically focused family, her 2022 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year based on her 3.74 GPA likely makes her family proud. 

There are a finite number of matches left of Jehlárová’s WSU career, with her production to be greatly missed upon the conclusion of the 2023 season.