WSU volleyball spotlight: Karly Basham

Libero transfer to 1,000 WSU career kills
Karly+Basham+gets+ready+for+the+start+of+a+volleyball+match+against+Utah%2C+Oct.+13%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Karly Basham gets ready for the start of a volleyball match against Utah, Oct. 13, in Pullman, Wash.

Before being one of the most known Cougs on the volleyball court, Karly Basham spent two seasons on the Texas A&M volleyball team. After playing in 103 sets over 31 matches her freshman season and 29 sets over seven matches in seven matches in the shortened 2020 season, improving her production drastically. 

After averaging 1.00 assists per set, 0.17 aces per set, and 3.45 digs per set in the 2020 season, Basham looked for a new home. Wanting to take her game to the next level and compete on a higher level, she came to WSU. 

She has known dominance since early on. In high school, she was part of a 57-match winning streak while winning state and national championships. Now at WSU, she is actively a part of a team in the midst of a program-record eight straight weeks in the AVCA Top 10.

Quickly becoming a leader on the court since following the team recruiting her to transfer over in 2021, she has been a huge part of the success of the program over the past three seasons. 

In year one, she averaged 3.44 digs and increased her production at the service line to 0.30 aces per set. In year two, she had just 3.25 digs per set but improved her aces to 0.32 per set and even assisted on kills 1.18 times per set. Now, in 2023, she has averaged a career-best 3.62 digs per set. 

Earlier this season, she became a member of the 1,000 career dig club at WSU and now has 1,088, meaning she will easily breach 1,100 and will push for 1,200 for her playing career on the Palouse. 

Taking pride in being a leader, Basham embraces the role of hype woman. 

“I would describe myself as outgoing and passionate. I’m that loud hype person. Seeing my teammates succeed makes me want to recognize that they are putting in the work. My teammates make it easy for me to step into that hype woman role,” she said.

Once she is gone, her energy will be missed, but fans of Bohler still have several more opportunities to see the lively libero play, starting at 7 p.m. Friday as the Cougs take on UCLA.