Fallen Cougars: Grad students share a Cougar veteran’s journey

Presentation from 7–8 p.m. today at Pullman Depot Heritage Center
GABRIELLE BOWMAN
The Pullman Depot Heritage Center in June, Pullman, Wash.

Public history graduate students from WSU’s Department of History are presenting an informative display about a Cougar veteran who gave his life in service of the nation during World War II.

The event will be from 7–8 p.m. today at Pullman Depot Heritage Center in the freight room next to the train cars. The freight room can seat 25–40 people, Depot organizer Kathy Meyer said.

The event is free and educational, Meyer said.

“You don’t have to sign up in advance,” Meyer said. “Just come.”

Graduate researchers Jordan Bergstrom, Kylie Canion-Brewer, Cassie Crisman and Samantha Edgerton will give this presentation under the direction of Ray Sun, associate history professor and event organizer.

The idea for this project came to Sun from a conference at the Friends of the National World War II Memorial, where educators were tasked to create a school service project centering on World War II veterans in their home communities.

The project aims to restore the spirits and inform the public about the lives of approximately 250 veterans, as well as serve as a scholarly resource for the ongoing students of history and educate the public of veterans’ legacies, according to a press release.

There will be a question-and-answer period toward the end when attendees can talk to the presenters, Meyer said.