Argentina Ung named All-American Honorable Mention

Setter proves hard work paid off
Argentina+Ung+snuffs+the+Oregon+Ducks+attack+right+at+the+net%2C+Oct.+27%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Argentina Ung snuffs the Oregon Ducks attack right at the net, Oct. 27, in Pullman, Wash.

In just her second full season as the starting setter for WSU volleyball, Argentina Ung’s improvement at the position proved vital in the team’s run. Pushing the team to the Sweet 16 in the 2023 NCAA Tournament, the setter did a lot to put her team in a position to win, and she was rewarded for it.

Named an AVCA All-American Honorable Mention, it was Ung’s third honor of the season. She was previously named an AVCA All-Region Honorable Mention and All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention for her successful season. 

Along with Magda Jehlárová, who was an AVCA All-American First Team player for the second time in her career, Ung is a part of the fourth time in program history that WSU had multiple AVCA All-Americans in one season, joining the 1996, 2018 and 2021 seasons.

In 2023, Ung ranked No. 32 in the nation and No. 3 in the Pac-12 in assists per set at 10.46 as well as being the catalyst of the Cougs program-record hitting percentage of .286%, which ranked No. 10 overall in the NCAA.

Tallying 1,297 assists during the season, she brought her career total to 2,513, firmly within the top 10 of program history. 

Defensively, Ung had a lot of improvement from 2022. She finished with 256 digs and 100 total blocks, increasing her blocks per set from 0.77 to 0.81. 

Naturally an outside hitter, she showcases newfound offensive aggression and comfortability in calling her own number, finishing with 119 kills with 0.96 kills per set. 

Returning for the 2023 season, Ung will target Katy Ryan and a lot of new targets as she attempts to replicate the offensive dominance the Cougs proved to have in 2023.