Argentina Ung enters name into transfer portal

Setter first to join Jen Greeny in departing
WSU setter Argentina Ung sets the ball during an NCAA second-round match against Dayton, Dec. 2, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

After Jen Greeny announced that she was leaving WSU to continue her coaching career at West Virginia in 2024 and beyond, attention changed to the players who may be joining her in leaving by putting their names into the transfer portal. Argentina Ung is the first play to enter the portal as the setter from Sonoro, Mexico, entered the portal the same day as Greeny’s announcement,

With one season left of eligibility, Ung brings a steady presence at net as she spent the last two seasons as one of the most underrated setters in the Pac-12. Just two years into her career as a collegiate setter, she made a mark on the Cougs record book.

With 2,513 career assists, she finished in the top 10 in WSU program history in career assists.

The 2023 season was a stark improvement for Ung, who increased her assist per set from 10.13 to 10.46, improved her kills per set from 0.85 to 0.96, hit a more efficient .384% compared to .301% and even improved her blocking by going from 0.77 blocks per set to 0.81.

All of her improvements got her recognition in postseason awards. First named an AVCA Pacific North All-Region Honorable Mention, she also finished the season as an AVCA All-American Honorable Mention. 

Her 10.46 assists per set ranked her 32nd overall in the nation and third in the Pac-12, leading the team to hit a program record of .286%. 

With experience setting up players such as Iman Isanovic, Pia Timmer, Laura Jansen, Katy Ryan and Magda Jehlárová, Ung is no stranger to playing alongside immense talent at all positions. She can bring a lot on the court and can elevate a team from good to great.

Coming to Pullman as an outside hitter, Ung switched positions following Hannah Pukis’ departure to Oregon ahead of the 2022 season. Learning a new position on the fly, Ung helped guide the team to a second-round appearance in the 2022 NCAA Tournament and a Sweet 16 berth in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. 

While not the last player to end the portal from WSU, Ung is one of the best players the team had left for the 2024 season.