Pullman and Moscow facing winter storm watch

Winter storm warning to begin Wednesday night and is set to end Friday
Students braving the weather on the first day of the spring semester

Pullman and Moscow are among cities currently under winter storm watches, which remain in effect until Friday afternoon.

The warning was issued by the National Weather Service, according to Weather.com. Residents should be prepared for heavy snow starting Wednesday night and continuing into Friday.

This warning comes off of another streak of bad weather on Tuesday, with wind speeds reaching 37 mph, according to Weather Underground. In addition, a wind chill watch will be in effect from Thursday at 10 p.m. to Sunday at noon, according to the National Weather System.

Aaron Breshears, Pullman PD operations commander, said the Pullman PD responded to seven weather-related calls Tuesday.

“Those were related to wind and trees coming down, which caused some electrical hazards and blocked roadways,” Breshears said. “No one was injured in any of those events but we did respond to those.”

In an X post, the Pullman PD advised residents driving during these conditions to give themselves extra time, slow down and avoid passing and give other drivers room.

“We always recommend people use caution when driving, part of that caution is having your vehicle properly equipped, having snow tires, chains, etc.,” Breshears said. “This is sometimes hard for people to adapt to. If your vehicle is not properly equipped for the bad roads, leave it parked. You don’t want to become a hazard on the roadways for yourself and others.”

Outside of driving, residents should make sure to look out for the neighbors, in part by keeping their sidewalks as clear as possible so no one slips and falls on them, Breshears said.

“Having your sidewalks clear and accessible also makes it easier for emergency responders to respond, instead of having to dig in a snow drift to your house if there’s a problem,” he said.

Avista communications manager David Vowels said Avista is monitoring the National Weather Service forecast closely and are currently not anticipating any significant impacts to the electricity system.

“In our region, heating is responsible for 40-60% of the energy use you see on your energy bill,” Meghan Pinch, Avista energy efficiency program manager said in a press release. “That’s why keeping heat inside is so critical in the winter. If heat escapes through cracks or windows, your home will use more energy and your heater will run more often than it should to keep your space warm.”

Reducing air leaks can cut a customer’s monthly energy use by 10%, the press release said. Air leaks are usually found around doors and windows.

“When you’ve sealed your air leaks and stopped cold air drafts, you’ll feel more comfortable and won’t be as tempted to bump your thermostat up,” Pinch said.

Avista recommends having an emergency kit on hand, in case of unplanned outages. Good items to have in them include flashlights, a portable battery-operated radio, food and water and a cell phone.

For more information, customers can call Avista’s customer service team at (800)-227-9187.