Unitarian Universalist Church organizes winter clothes project

City of Pullman, Neill Public Library help provide winter clothes for those in need 24/7
ANNA HARO
Winter clothes can be found in bags for those who need them all day until March 31.

Labeled bags of clothes hang from yarn on a fence looking over the South Fork Palouse River off Main St. for those who need them.

The City of Pullman, Neill Public Library and the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse are working together to provide free winter clothes in Downtown Pullman. Inside the various bags are items such as scarfs, gloves, hats and socks in men, women and children’s sizes.

The clothes are available 24/7 until March 31, UUCP member Janet DeTemple said. Those who are involved with this project believe it may become a yearly occurrence. 

Organized by the UUCP and supported through the City of Pullman and Neill Public Library, this clothing drive has been able to help individuals stay warm during the harsh Palouse winter, DeTemple said. She noticed there was free clothing hanging in front of the Moscow Public Library when she thought Pullman could use some warmth as well, so she brought the idea up to the city. 

“Some days I come check the location to see if anyone has taken any items and no one has, other days all the clothes are gone. I find it really interesting how it fluctuates, but I would estimate that around 30-40 people have utilized the clothes here so far,” DeTemple said. 

There is a box placed in front of DeTemple’s house on High Street where people can go to submit knitted, gently used or new winter clothes to be hung, she said. A couple times a week, DeTemple walks down from her house to the riverside clothing site in order to restock the winter items. 

The United Universalist Church in Moscow has a focus on social justice and complete a number of community-based projects throughout the year, Dan Owens, Neill Public Library Director, said. The UUCP host groups for LGBTQ support as well as helping to supply food for those who need it through the Little Free Pantry. 

“We are here for support, the library worked with the city to get all of the appropriate permissions and we’re happy to provide a location for members of the community to grab the clothes they need,” Owens said. “The DeTemples really took a lead on the project which the library really appreciates.” 

The library may make a donation box for those who would like to donate cold weather items; however, coats and other large clothing items are not accepted since they are too large to fit in the waterproof plastic bags being used to ensure dry and fresh clothes.