Michael Baumgartner seeking Washington’s fifth Congressional district’s house seat

Baumgartner is a Pullman native, has served as Spokane County Treasurer since 2019.
Michael Baumgartner graduated from WSU in 1999. Has served as Spokane Treasurer, state senator.
Washington State Legislative Sup

Spokane County Treasurer Michael Baumgartner announced his candidacy for Washington’s fifth congressional district Monday.

Baumgartner made his announcement at the University District Gateway Bridge. Some of his top campaign issues include border security, inflation and crime.

Baumgartner has served as Spokane County Treasurer since 2019. Before that, he served as a state senator for Washington’s sixth district from 2011–2019.

This announcement grows the crowded field of Republican candidates hoping to replace outgoing Representative Cathy McMorris-Rodgers, which includes Spokane city councilman Jonathan Bingle, Ferry County Commissioner Brian Dansel and state Representative Jacquelin Maycumber.

On the national scene, Baumgartner ran for the Washington senate seat Senator Maria Cantwell held in 2012, according to the Spokesman-Review. Baumgartner won the Republican nomination but lost to Cantwell by 20.9%.

Baumgartner is a Pullman native and graduated from WSU in 1999 with a degree in economics. In 2019 he taught a course titled Insurgent Warfare and Football Strategy with WSU football coach Mike Leach, according to the Spokesman-Review.