Ask Life: When to start packing to move?

Our best tip: Start preparing early
Packing+can+prove+to+be+a+difficult+chore%2C+but+you+can+avoid+stress+by+using+large+storage+bins%2C+trash+bags+for+hanging+nicer+clothes+and+donating+any+unnecessary+clothes+or+appliances.+
COURTESY OF FLICKR COMMONS
Packing can prove to be a difficult chore, but you can avoid stress by using large storage bins, trash bags for hanging nicer clothes and donating any unnecessary clothes or appliances.

Dear Life Section,

I am about to move out of my place and am not renewing my lease. When do you suggest I start packing, and do I take everything with me?

Sincerely,

Unsure Mover

Dear Unsure Mover,  

Unfortunately, packing up to leave is something everyone must start thinking seriously about in the very near future. There are a few questions that come with packing up, though: How much do you take home? Is it wasteful to get rid of things? Will you be using the same furniture next year? How will you transport it?

These questions can be very overwhelming, so be sure to take everything one step at a time. First, if you know where you are going to live next year, know what furniture will be provided so you can go from there.

Get ahead on packing, especially if you leave soon after graduation. Finals are the priority, so leaving time to study and take them in a timely manner is of utmost importance. Use some of your free time to start getting boxes, deciding what you want to take home and what you want to get rid of.

Decide which items are worthwhile and can fit into the vehicle you are taking. It is most likely not worth it to rent a U-Haul for items you can buy again for a low price.

Next, remember that Pullman is a great place to sell items on Facebook Marketplace. There are a few groups like Free and For Sale on the Palouse, and WSU Free and For Sale. Both places are great ways to sell unwanted clothes and furniture. They are also good resources if you need to rebuy anything you get rid of this year.

Once you have decided what you want to keep, start packing soon. Since the weather has warmed up, you do not need your winter jacket or boots. Start filling boxes with items you do not use very often like decorations, books, clothes and dishes, and set them aside.

Gradguard.com has more helpful tips for planning and packing.

Sincerely,

The Life Section