Whitman County residents protest wind turbines

Residents attend commissioner meeting on April 15, another meeting to be held April 29.
JOSIAH PIKE
The petition against the wind farm now has over 1,500 signatures

Whitman County residents gathered at the County Commissioner’s office to express their concerns about the proposed Harvest Hills Wind Project near Kamiak Butte on April 15.

The meeting saw pleas from local residents urging the County Commissioners to impose a temporary moratorium on new wind turbines until the county code is thoroughly updated. The residents highlighted various issues surrounding the proposed wind farm, with one of the primary concerns voiced being the potential negative impact on the scenic beauty of the Palouse.

Many residents feared that the introduction of large wind turbines would mar the picturesque landscape that defines the area, impacting tourism and the overall appeal of the region.

In addition, there were doubts raised about the economic benefits of the wind project. Despite claims of job creation and increased tax revenue, several residents argued that these gains would not outweigh the loss of the region’s natural charm. Mike Dymkoski, former Palouse School Board president, said the wind farms are a scam on the public dime and expressed skepticism about the project’s true benefits for the community.

A petition to stop the project currently has over 1,500 signatures, with the goal of 2,500 signatures.

“Each wind turbine is projected to be up to 670’ tall – much larger than the existing turbines near Oakesdale and taller than the Space Needle,” the petition reads. “Prime Palouse soil will be removed and paved over for access roads, transmission lines will be built, and tons of concrete and steel will be placed deep into the Palouse soil for each turbine, which are known to leak oil, cause fires, and kill wildlife, and will destroy the enjoyment of our natural recreational sites and neighboring residential properties.”

Dymkoski said the stance of county commissioners on the issue varied. District 2 Commissioner Tom Handy admitted to having concerns about the project, aligning himself with the sentiments of the concerned residents. Similarly, District 3 Commissioner Michael Largent, expressed his lack of enthusiasm for the proposed wind turbines.

Despite the passionate arguments presented by the residents, the county commissioners did not reach a decision regarding the moratorium during Monday’s meeting. However, they scheduled a follow-up meeting at 9:30 a.m. on April 29 at the Whitman County Courthouse Commissioner Chambers. This upcoming meeting aims to delve deeper into the Harvest Hills Wind Project, with presentations planned on wind turbine code and laws specific to Whitman County. The agenda also includes a discussion and Q&A session to address the concerns raised by supporters and opponents of the project.