OPINION: Pass fail option doesn’t help students

While giving the option of having classes be pass or fail might seem nice, it doesn’t do much for students now

LAUREN PETTIT

Having options are nice, but these don’t help students who are struggling with distance learning.

HALEY BRICKWEDEL

Campus is allowing a pass/fail option for the spring semester. However, applying for pass/fail classes is not easy as it may seem. Each department has their own limit on the amount of pass/fail classes for a degree. Moreover, the pass/fail class will not affect overall GPA and may count towards a degree. The truth is switching to online classes have made school much harder for students which is why the pass/fail option is a blessing. 

“I’m glad the pass/fail option is there because one of my classes is a science class and not being there in class would take a toll on my grade,” Jasmin Snyder, a junior English major, said.

The option will be utilized by the many students who lack resources they once received on campus and students that are struggling in a class.

“I think that it’s a great option especially for the people like me who are struggling with their classes. I’m very grateful that the university is giving the students an option,” Catie Wright, a sophomore human development major, said.

The reality is not every student has a great Wi-Fi connection, let alone the means to download programs and software needed for a class or project that was once offered in computer labs and accessible on campus. Most of all, many students have to go back to work, meaning they are unable to connect to time sensitive discussion boards and Zoom calls. 

“Online classes have changed my time in a way that requires me to be more cautious about how I plan out my days since there was such a quick shift and transition to the online platform,” said Andres Juarez, a senior management information systems major, said.

With the university switch to online classes there are many students struggling to complete the school work and the deadlines. The pass/fail option is put into place to help relieve stress.

“I’m not very good with online learning, I need in-person classes to remind me I’m actually in school. I still do my work on time, it’s just easier to forget about it since I’m not in Pullman,” Snyder said. 

Whoever said “any space can be turned into a  workspace” is wrong. Any desk will work, but a loud house or an unusually finicky Wi-Fi connection can ruin any work space. 

“A lot of people may not be used to online classes yet and will not be properly adjusted and can take a hit in their GPA especially due to stress,” Juarez said. “Some may feel a little bit overwhelmed, because I know I was at first.”

Online classes can create a disconnect between the students and professors. Names have been forgotten and office hours have turned into emails and Zoom calls.

“The switch for online classes has been a huge change for me. I have become a lot less motivated to do my class work and my grades have really shown that. It has been super hard for me to be productive and keep up on my class work,” Wright said. 

Students want to encourage others in this time of uncertainty and frustration. No one is alone, the WSU community is still alive and well.

“My advice is that doing and giving your best for school right now is all that matters at this point,” Synder said. “I’m doing whatever is best for me during this weird time and making sure my mental health is doing okay during isolation. Do whatever is best for you and keep at it, we’re all in it together.”

At the end of the day students and professors are struggling to convert to online. Thankfully the university has allowed the pass/fail option, which is an emergency accommodation for the spring semester.

“Everyone is having to go through the same change so talking to people who are experiencing it too is super helpful and doesn’t make you feel like you’re going through it alone,” Wright said. 

Us students are in this together. We’re all away from friends and missing school. 

“I would strongly recommend to students to pick up hobbies at home and take this time to spend more quality time with their family members. I know it’s easier said than done,” Juarez said.

This can be a time to spread love. With all this extra free time, it is easy to find little things to fill the time. Try playing games, reading, writing, going on a walk, gardening and more. There are so many options, just spend this time in a way to cultivate happiness.