WAZZU WEEKLY: home stretch for WSU basketball programs, Brown sets PHS 3-point record

Sports Evergreen’s weekly reading guide

HAILEE SPEIR

WSU women’s basketball team dances to “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!” by Shania Twain after winning an NCAA women’s basketball game against Oregon State, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Ula Motuga has left a legacy, DJ Rodman is coming back and WSU baseball is in the best shape of its life this year and is home to one of the nation’s early RBI leaders. Down the road, Jaedyn Brown set the Pullman High School single season 3-point record—again!

Last week, your Daily Evergreen sports section compiled our first spring 2023 sports edition.

It was a chance to tell stories that matter to the sports-loving community on the Palouse. Check out our Sports Edition-specific Wazzu Weekly here.

Pullman High School basketball

One of the most exciting high school basketball teams in the state is right here in Pullman. The undefeated Pullman boys basketball program (23-0) is home to senior Jaedyn Brown, who beat his own school single-season 3-point record Saturday with 111 3-pointers and counting.

The Greyhounds will play R.A. Long High School in the first round of the WIAA 2A state tournament at 2 p.m. Saturday at West Valley High School in Spokane.

Pullman point guard Jaedyn Brown shoots a free throw during a high school basketball playoff game against East Valley (Yakima), Feb. 18, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Jaedyn Brown sets Pullman High School single season 3-point record — again

Greyhounds advance to state tournament behind Brown’s school 3-point record

Pullman Greyhounds greatest in Greater Spokane League, win league title

HAILEE SPEIR
Pullman shooting guard Champ Powaukee celebrates after winning the 2A district championship game against West Valley on Thursday, Feb.16, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Pullman boys basketball advances in 2A District Playoffs, beats Rogers 90-53

Pullman guard Sehra Singh jumps for a layup during a basketball district playoff game against Shadle Park, Feb. 14, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Down to the wire showdown in the GSL girls basketball semifinals 

WSU women’s basketball

The Cougs play their final two regular-season games Thursday and Saturday in Los Angeles before they head to Las Vegas for the Pac-12 Tournament.

Ula Motuga and Charlisse Leger-Walker are each close to setting program history but, after a touching senior day celebration in which Motuga, Grace Sarver and Emma Nankervis were recognized for their program-defining contributions, the Cougs must finish the job by closing out the regular season strong against two ranked teams.

After the regular season sits the Pac-12 Tournament, where almost half of the teams are ranked and over half were ranked at some point in the season.

The WSU women’s basketball team sings “Man! I Feel Like A Woman” by Shania Twain while celebrating a 67-57 victory over Oregon State, Feb. 19, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Cougs head to city of Angels for final two regular season games

WSU women’s basketball celebrates seniors with 67-57 win over Oregon State

Ula Motuga: a foundation laid and a legacy left

Murekatete scores her 1,000th career point as Wazzu sweeps Oregon

WSU men’s basketball

The Cougs have an outside shot at an NCAA Tournament bid but a clear shot at another NIT bid. They must win their three remaining road games — each against teams they have already beaten, but no win will come easily. Stanford only lost by 1 point last time in Pullman, Cal can be deceiving and UW should not be underestimated.

After that, a decent showing by the Cougs in the Pac-12 Tournament would be required to boost the Cougar’s resume and a Pac-12 Championship will be the Cougs’ only hope at an NCAA Tournament bid.

However, Rodman announced he is returning for a fifth year after previously leaving his future up in the air. Nothing is for sure in college basketball, but the Cougs hope the end of this season can be a positive springboard into next season as every member except for Jack Wilson is eligible to return to the program. The question becomes, like last year, “how many will stay?”

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU guard DJ Rodman announces that he is returning to WSU men’s basketball for his 5th year before an NCAA men’s basketball game against Oregon, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Cougs to begin final road trip in Stanford

Cougs take vital win over Ducks

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU men’s basketball team celebrate with WSU guard DJ Rodman after the announcement that Rodman will be returning to the program for his 5th year before an NCAA men’s basketball game against Oregon, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Cougs dominate Oregon State at home

Wazzu provides hostile homecoming for Noah Williams in Apple Cup

UW guard and ex-WSU player Noah Williams walks back to the tunnel after losing to WSU 51-56, Feb. 11, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU swimming

WSU swimming: Pac-12 Championships preview

WSU swimming: a program on the rise

WSU baseball

Jonah Advincula sits atop NCAA statistics with 13 RBIs after first week of baseball

Courtesy of Washington State Athletics
The Pac-12 recgonized Jonah Advincula of WSU as Pac-12 Player of the Week. Advincula leads NCAA D-I baseball in RBIs after one week.

WSU baseball scores 54 runs in four games to start season 4–0

Pac-12 Baseball teams to look out for this season

WSU tennis

WSU tennis to play two tune-up matches before conference play

WSU tennis splits weekend against Big Ten opponents  

WSU track and field

WSU indoor track and field team excels at Arkansas Qualifier Meet

Caicedo shatters record again in WSU indoor track and field’s busy weekend

WSU men’s golf

A rocky return for Cougar men’s golf 

NFL

Greg Olson beat a future Super Bowl MVP in the high school playoffs, began his college coaching career at WSU and will soon take his coaching expertise to Seattle as the Seahawks’ Quarterbacks coach.

Seahawks add former Coug to their coaching staff

NBA

The 2023 NBA Trade Deadline was perhaps the most chaotic ever. After the All-Star game, the focus shifts to the home stretch of the regular season and the promised land … the playoffs!

If the NBA Playoffs started today 

Hardwood Hypothesis Week 19 

XFL

Max Borghi scored a touchdown in his first XFL game!

XFL is coming, and here’s what you need to know

PRO COUGS TRACKER: Max Borghi, more Cougs in XFL

That is all for this week. A huge shout out to the Evergreen staff for making the sports edition a success and for bringing you local, national and global coverage through a Wazzu lens every single day.

Thank you for reading and go Cougs!