WAZZU WEEKLY: Thank you, sports readers

Wazzu Weekly May 16, 2023

MASON MARON

Approximately half of the spring 2023 Evergreen sports section poses for a group photo in front of Murrow Hall, May 4, 2023.

The last two weeks have seen Pac-12 Championships for tennis, track and field, and rowing, the Women’s Golf NCAA West Regionals hosted by WSU at the Palouse Ridge Golf Course and Pullman High School soccer qualify for the state tournament.

Congratulations are also due to the class of 2023!

Class of 2023

Mason Maron
Trevor Junt, deputy sports editor

We are one week removed from saying goodbye to our graduating class of spring 2023. For the Evergreen sports section, it was a talented group that included Daylon Hicks Evergreen columnist and D-I long jumper, Alena Rinehardt, our track and field beat writer, Jake Hull, our baseball beat writer, and Trevor Junt, our football beat writer and deputy sports editor.

My sincere thanks and congratulations to each of you for the hours you poured into the Daily Evergreen and the countless hours dedicated to Wazzu. The world is getting four excellent writers and four incredible people.

Trevor Junt: Leader and a friend

Trevor set the standard at Cable 8, the Murrow College and right here at the Daily Evergreen.

COURTESY OF BRENDAN POTTS
Brenden Potts and Charlisse Leger-Walker celebrate WSU women’s basketball’s Pac-12 Championship, March 5, 2023 at Michelob Ultra Arena in Las Vegas.

Murrow Hall and club ball: Carlos does it all

Brenden Potts: WSU women’s basketball super fan and friend

Johanna Teder; student, baller, warrior

Featured Story

COURTESY OF GUNNER MILLER
Max Aunese and Gunner Miller at Bonney Lake Stadium, September 2019.

Remembering Lacey’s Max Aunese three years later

Max was a beloved member of the Timberline High School community in Lacey who tragically lost his life in 2020. His friend and WSU student Gunner Miller remembers him in this piece. Thank you, Gunner, for sharing this story.

WSU men’s basketball

Cougar men’s basketball is experiencing about as much roster turnover as it did last year. The Cougs lost TJ Bamba, DJ Rodman and Adrame Diongue to the transfer portal but gained Idaho transfer Isaac Jones and signed true freshman Isaiah Watts from Kent.

COMMENTARY: Cougs lose DJ Rodman to transfer portal months after he promised to stay

WSU baseball

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU pitcher Dakota Hawkins gets ready to throw a pitch during an NCAA baseball game against Santa Clara, Friday, April 21, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

The Cougs lost the Apple Cup two games out of three but that did not stop Dakota Hawkins from tossing a gem. Hawkins struck out 12 over seven innings, becoming the seventh Coug pitcher to strike out at least 12 in a single game.

Over the weekend, Wazzu beat Cal Berkley 2-out-of-3 to earn the most wins in the Brian Green era (29). Green’s previous best season was last year in which the Cougs won 27 games.

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU Infielder Cam Magee high-fives one of his coaches after an NCAA baseball game against Gonzaga, Tuesday, May 2, 2023 in Pullman, Wash.

Cougars clobber Cal two games out of three

WSU women’s basketball

Kamie Ethridge signed a one-year contract extension May 3, keeping the Pac-12 Champion WSU women’s basketball coach in Pullman through the 2028–29 season.

They also signed a player who was sixth in the nation in scoring and lived within eight miles of Pullman for the last four years as Washington native Beyonce Bea transferred from Idaho to WSU.

Courtesy of Beyonce Bea
Head coach Kamie Ethridge welcomes Idaho Transfer Beyonce Bea to WSU.

WSU women’s hoops welcome Idaho basketball legend

WSU volleyball

The Cougs have been hard at work assembling a competitive 2023 roster, adding three new signees this week.

WSU volleyball adds talented libero Emma Barbero to team

WSU volleyball adds Lana Radakovic to 2023 roster

WSU volleyball adds third new player of week

WSU women’s golf

Darcy Habgood watches as her putt nears the hole, May 8.

Darcy Habgood became the first Coug since 2018 to appear in the women’s golf NCAA West Regionals.

Darcy Habgood ends WSU career in NCAA Pullman Regional

WSU men’s golf

From Hawaii to the Palouse: Pono Yanagi to compete in individual NCAA regional 

WSU men’s golf team secures bronze at Pac-12 Championship 

WSU tennis

Raquel Atawo chosen for NCAA Women Coaches Academy Program

WSU’s Alvarez Sande named All-Pac-12 Second Team

WSU tennis ends season with loss to USC 

WSU track and field

Jared McAlvey strengthened his seventh all-time standing at WSU in the 400m hurdles (50.23) to place second at the Pac-12 Championships as WSU track and field had a solid week in Walnut, California.

WSU rowing

WSU rowing placed sixth at the Pac-12 Championships at Dexter Lake in Lowell, Oregon.

Pullman High School Greyhounds

PHS soccer huddles prior to starting game against Rogers, May 8.

Despite losing the Greater Spokane League Championship, the PHS soccer Greyhounds are bound for the 2A WIAA State Tournament.

PHS soccer loses second game of year against Eagles

PHS soccer starts playoff run with strong win

PHS soccer lifts Greater Spokane League trophy

PHS wrestling turned heads in 2023 in part thanks to the incredible achievements of freshman Israel Acosta.

Israel Acosta: A life of wrestling

NFL

GRACIE ROGERS
Seahawks 2023 NFL Draft. The Seahawks focused on filling needs and defense.

Evergreen deputy sports editor Trevor Junt breaks down the Seahawks’ NFL Draft.

Seahawks get a B+ on 2023 NFL Draft

Pro Cougs Tracker

OLIVER MCKENNA
Klay Thompson speaks at a press conference after having his jersey retired at Saturday’s men’s basketball game against OSU at Beasley Coliseum.

Klay Thompson saw his season end earlier than the NBA Finals for the first time since 2015, two Cougs won the XFL Championship and a former Coug is making a name for himself in the New York Yankees bullpen.

PRO COUGS TRACKER: Game 6 Klay goes away, pro Cougs win XFL Championship

What happened to Game 6 Klay?

Serving as sports editor for one full year at the Daily Evergreen has been a phenomenal experience. I am proud of the work we did and the stories we told. I met some of my closest friends through this organization and I am excited for the experiences and work that Hayden Stinchfield and Luke Westfall, your next Evergreen sports editors will provide. 

To hear Trevor and my full reflection on the year, please check out: Letter from the editors: thank you for making sports snazzy – again

Thank you for reading and Go Cougs!