Murrow Hall and club ball: Carlos does it all

As Carlos Murrieta preps for graduation, he reflects on his time at WSU

COURTESY CARLOS MURRIETA

Carlos Murrieta graduates from the Murrow College with dual degrees in public relations and broadcast production.

HAYDEN STINCHFIELD, Evergreen sports co-editor

There are a lot of ways to get involved on campus. Students join clubs, play intramural sports, and many other things. Public relations and broadcast production double-major Carlos Murrieta has done just about every single one.

On Sunday, Murrieta wrapped up his time with the club baseball team, who beat University of Idaho’s club team in both games that day.

The pandemic meant he was only able to play for the team for two years. Once he was able to join he managed to shake off the rust he had gained from four years without playing competitively and was part of a team that made a good run last season and finished this year with their best record ever.

For a lot of people, that would be their biggest time sink. Not for Murrieta.

Murrieta has also spent the last year and a half as a key member of Cable 8, WSU’s student TV network. As an assistant producer and director for both CougZone and Wazzu Recap, Murrieta has contributed while gaining experience for his future. While his show ‘On Deck’ only made it to one season, it opened the door to a community that has become important to him.

“I’m very happy with my position and what I do with Cable 8, and honestly it became like a family to me,” Murrieta said. “Each and every single one I know personally. I could be there all day.”

His contributions at Cable 8 are not all he has done with the communications department. Murrieta has also spent time as part of the Murrow Ambassadors, welcoming new students to the communications college as well as recruiting incoming freshmen and transfers. The connections he made there and the experience he gained were both a huge part of his time here at WSU.

“I love everything so much about [Murrow],” Murrieta said. “I got to connect with a lot of people I did not think I would ever connect with. Some advisors, a lot of professors … you don’t see them as advisors.”

Carlos has served as a Murrow ambassador for the last two years.

“He is just phenomenal. He’s always upbeat, he’s on time, he’s so helpful and personable,” Murrow College advisor and overseer of the Murrow Ambassadors Jessica Hernandez said. “He’s always willing to help out with anything, especially if it’s last minute. It’s just been such a joy working with him and seeing him grow as a student these last few years.”

It is hard to have so many things on your plate. You have to really care about what you are doing. Luckily, he does.

“Carlos is a very genuine, authentic, and caring person. He really cares about all the people around him,” Murrieta’s friend, teammate and roommate Evan Charney said. “He is someone who is always willing to help out. He really just puts his best foot forward for everything that he does.”

Roommates Carlos Murrieta and Evan Charney directed and produced a Cable 8 show together.

Murrieta is so willing to help out, he even helps out the opponent.

Those games Sunday were both Coug wins, but Murrieta only actually won one of them. This is because Idaho lost one of its players before the second game due to a health issue, and Murrieta stepped up. Rather than taking the win by forfeit, he played against his own team. As the Cougs went 2-0, Carlos went 1-1 playing for both teams.

He does it all, and he does it well. Now, as Murrieta graduates, he is looking forward to a future in broadcasting. He will be moving back to his hometown of San Diego and hopes to work for a local station of any kind.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s sports or news,” Murrieta said. “I just wanna be behind the camera doing what I do, editing and making people look good.”