Letter from the editor – September recap

Mental health coverage, 120+ stories, more
Vol.+130+No.+6+of+the+Daily+Evergreen%2C+the+Sports+Edition+of+Sept.+27.+
Vol. 130 No. 6 of the Daily Evergreen, the Sports Edition of Sept. 27.

September was the first full month of production of fall 2023 for the Evergreen, with four editions, including the Sept. 21 sports edition and the Sept. 28 edition, having several mental health-themed stories to tie the sections together. 

From August to September, we increased the number of stories published by 45.9%, had multiple stories break multiples of thousands of views, had social media posts reach tens of thousands of impressions and continued to look to expand our reach as a staff. 

Our sports section continues to have coverage of ongoing WSU athletics, with volleyball, football and soccer being at the forefront. Pullman High School football and WSU club sports coverage is coming in and improving each week and the sports section continues to produce at an impressive rate. 

Life had the most viewed and most liked post on social media, with a feature story on the Cougar Marching Band’s new director Jon Sweet, written by reporter Julia Messegee and edited by the life editor Gabrielle Feliciano. 

The news staff saw a 50% increase in unique bylines and a 31.8% increase in stories from August, with the staff looking to continue to grow in the coming months. 

Looking ahead to the rest of October, four editions will be produced: a sports edition for the homecoming football game against Arizona will headline and Breast Cancer Awareness will be celebrated with pink highlights in the paper throughout the month.

Thank you for reading the Evergreen and we hope to continue to bring great news coverage to WSU students and faculty and the greater community of the Palouse. 

Any news tips, questions about the paper and more can be directed to me. 

Brandon Willman, Editor-in-chief 

[email protected]