Letter from the editor – Oct. 12 Sports Edition

Second Sports Edition upgrade over first
Oct.+12+edition+of+the+Daily+Evergreen%2C+a+special+Homecoming+Sports+Edition%2C+Oct.+12%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Oct. 12 edition of the Daily Evergreen, a special Homecoming “Sports Edition,” Oct. 12, in Pullman, Wash.

Putting together a non-standard issue of the Daily Evergreen is always a treat, but more so when it is a topic that interests me and a great portion of my staff so much. After doing a Sports Edition last month for the conference home opener, we returned even stronger for a Homecoming Sports Edition. 

In preparation mainly for the Cougs battle with Arizona, the Sports Edition features the return of a depth chart/positional showcase on the double truck that once was a weekly feature of the Evergreen. 

All three sections participated in the edition, with life and news having sports-adjacent stories coming out strong with a preview and/or recap of every sport, features on athletes and even a non-athlete so prominent for WSU Athletics.

The cover blended the Homecoming atmosphere with pink highlights for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which turned out beautifully by the Evergreen’s talented graphics editor, Emma Hewitt.

For WSU, volleyball is now ranked No. 4, football is ranked No. 19 and soccer had been ranked in the top 25, but after a recent stretch of tough matches, find themselves out of the top 25. Other sports are getting their seasons underway as tennis, swimming and cross-country, all having their first events. 

Both women’s and men’s basketball have their schedules released and are beginning their preseason media frenzies and are gearing up to start their seasons, which are outlined in this week’s edition. 

Some of the best stories include a feature with the recently-revealed Butch T. Cougar Paul Dennis, an update on CryptoCougs and WSU administration after paying for an ad in the Evergreen from the news team, Pullman Batting Cage being opened in Pullman from Life, a feature on WSU soccer player Liya Books and so much more than can be found both in print and online.