Ask Life: How to spend Thanksgiving alone?

Selfcare, cooking, preparing for finals and more
SHALLA NEWMAN
Next year, try spending Thanksgiving in your own company for a change.

Dear Life Section,

I did not go home for Thanksgiving and was alone in Pullman. Since all my friends went out of town, I did not know what to do here alone to celebrate.

Some places on campus reduced their hours, and most shops remained closed. Do you have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Thanksgiving-Alone-This-Year

Dear Thanksgiving-Alone-This-Year,

Spending Thanksgiving alone does not have to be uneventful or lonely; you can still make the most of the holiday.

Celebrating Thanksgiving alone is actually a great idea since you can thank yourself and treat yourself during the break.

It can be all about self-care activities, from cleaning your room to grooming yourself. These could include going to the gym, taking a walk, buying groceries, doing your laundry and finishing assignments.

Thanksgiving can be spent in a productive way. Read a new book, find a spot to sit for the read, practice a musical instrument or take photos around town. 

Volunteering opportunities are always available to help those in need. This could be your chance to perform a good deed during the break.

If nothing else, this is a good time to catch up with classes if you need to get your grades up.

Cooking a full meal for yourself can also be a therapeutic and enjoyable experience.

And one can always maintain contact with family and friends, especially during the break. A quick call back home can help you stay engaged.

If none of these ideas work out, have a movie marathon, do what makes you happy and relax until college begins again. 

Sincerely, 

The Life Section