Celebrating 50 years: BookPeople of Moscow

Local bookstore’s Nov. 15 anniversary featured book signings and more
ROBYN FANCHER
Customers at BookPeople of Moscow’s 50th anniversary celebration.

Excited chattering, browsing of fresh-smelling books, chocolate cake and charcuterie.

BookPeople of Moscow celebrated their 50th year of business from 4–6 p.m. Nov. 15 with a night of book signings, slideshows and refreshments.

The night began with a slideshow from the founder of the bookstore, manager Carol Price said. The slideshow included information on what the community was like 50 years ago.

The night also included book signings from a couple of writers and poets.

“Novelist and memoirist Kim Barnes was there, also Alexandra Teague (novelist, memoirist, poet), Eija Sumner (children’s picture books), Diane Worthey (children’s non-fiction) and Annette Pimentel (children’s non-fiction),” Price said.

There were many book sales, which was a surprise for the workers that night, Price said.

“We had a huge spread of food that was completely eaten up, and the authors signed books throughout,” Price said. “It was buzzy and fun … the night was beyond my wildest dreams.”

Throughout these 50 years, BookPeople of Moscow has had many things to celebrate. For one, the bookstore has done events with celebrities like musician Josh Ritter, who grew up in Moscow.

“In 1999, the store moved across the street from its original location between the theatres with the help of a human chain who passed the books across,” Price said. “The store being completely renovated and renewed and restocked when we bought the store in 2011 from the previous owner, who was going to close the store, is something that we are very very happy to have accomplished.”

Even with many accomplishments over the last 50 years, BookPeople of Moscow still has much to look forward to, Price said. If people were not able to make it to the anniversary event, there are still some upcoming events to attend.

“We have some nationally published local authors with book launches coming up soon,” Price said. “Tara Roberts’ novel ‘Wild and Distant Seas’ comes out in January, and Eija Sumner’s children’s picture book ‘The Good Little Mermaid’s Guide to Bedtime’ comes out in March, and we’re excited about both of those events.”