Cougar duo showered with awards after strong week

Isaac Jones, Myles Rice earn serious accolades
Myles+Rice+smiles+to+himself+during+the+Cougs+big+win+against+Arizona%2C+Jan.+13%2C+2024%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Myles Rice smiles to himself during the Cougs big win against Arizona, Jan. 13, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU men’s basketball (12-5, 3-3 Pac-12) had their best week of the season last week. First was a 72-64 victory over USC in LA, followed by a 73-70 win over No. 8 Arizona at home. Leading in those games were Isaac Jones and Myles Rice, and now they each have the trophies to show for it.

For his performances, Rice earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Week. It is his third time winning the award after he won it in back-to-back weeks to start December. He averaged 15 points, five assists and two steals over the week and made a number of crucial shots down the stretch against Arizona.

Jones received the Pac-12 Player of the Week award. It is his first in this conference after winning a pair of Big Sky Player of the Week awards last season at University of Idaho. Coming off the bench against USC, Jones averaged 25 points and 12 rebounds during the week, and had a number of clutch buckets of his own against both teams.

It is the first time in program history that the Cougs have swept the weekly awards, although that is in a sample size of only four years as the Freshman award was added in 2019.

Jones was also given ESPN’s National Player of the Week and the Naismith National Player of the Week. He is the first Coug to win one of those awards since Noah Williams did it in 2021.