Cougars finish even at first 2024 tournament

Senior Prestin Bebich places eighth overall
COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

The WSU men’s golf team finished even par at their first tournament of the season at the John Burns Intercollegiate Invitational at Hawaii. They finished in seventh place overall, in a field of twenty, a respectable score for their first tournament of the year. 

Senior Prestin Bebich put together the best individual performance of the squad. He finished with a score of four-under-par, good for eighth place overall. Highlights included an eagle on the last day of competition, as well as a pair of birdies. 

Hawaii native and fellow senior Pono Yanagi also placed in the competition. His five birdies in the final round propelled him to a score of two-under, tying him for 18th overall. 

Sophomore Sam Renner finished 50th overall, with a final score of five-over. He did manage to secure an eagle in the final round, helping push him into the top 50. 

Redshirt freshman Ben Borgida also eagled on day three of competition, but it wasn’t enough to put him any higher than 66th overall, with a score of eight over par. 

Finally, senior Drayton Joseph finished with a score of 29-over. It was a rough weekend for Joseph, who finished 121st overall. 

Seventh place is nothing to be disappointed in for their first tournament, and it gives the Cougs a solid understanding of where they are at as a team early in the season. The Cougs have played two tournaments and return to action in the GCU Invitational March 12 and 13 at the GCU Golf Course in Phoenix, Arizona.