WSU women score 30 in fourth quarter, advance to WBIT quarterfinals

Cougs beat Santa Clara 73-47, will play Toledo at 6 p.m. Thursday in Pullman
ANDRES DE ROBLES
Beyonce Bea getting the offensive rebound, March 24 in Pullman, Wash.

In four years at Idaho and one year at Wazzu, Beyonce Bea scored over 2,000 points and hauled in over 1,000 rebounds. But she had never played in a postseason tournament.

That has changed in her graduate year at WSU, where the Cougs have won two games to advance to the quarterfinals of the inaugural Women’s Invitation Basketball Tournament.

Bea scored 8 points (all in the first half) and grabbed 11 rebounds as WSU women’s basketball (20-14) beat Santa Clara (25-9) 73-47 thanks to a 30-point fourth quarter and domination of the boards with a 44-32 rebounding advantage to advance to the quarterfinals of the WBIT.

“This is the longest I’ve ever played and I want to go as far as I can,” Bea said.

In her graduate year at WSU, Bea had struggled to score consistently, at times getting one or two shots per game.

On Sunday afternoon, the Cougs were committed to reversing this trend, getting Bea seven looks in the first half, as she converted on four of them.

Bea bamboozled the Broncos in the post. With 30 seconds left in the first quarter, Bea drove with two dribbles, paused with her back to the basket, pump faked to her right, then spun around and darted to her left to push the ball up and off the glass with her right hand. WSU led 18-14 after 10 minutes.

“It’s definitely, I think, helpful to the team for me to be more aggressive. It’s something I’ve been working on for sure,” Bea said. “And the coaching staff and team, you know, want me to take those shots when they’re open. So that’s what I’m looking for.”

Head coach Kamie Ethridge said Bea’s scoring is “icing on the cake” compared to the other ways she impacts the game.

“She does so many other things well. Her rebounding is key for us. But her scout defense is pretty much, you know, elite,” Ethridge said.

The Cougs remained about two or three-possessions in front of the Broncos for much of the game. Santa Clara made five shots in the second quarter and star Tess Heel made three of them on her way to an 18-point, 8-for-21 day. At halftime, the Cougs led 32-24.

WSU’s air attack once again defined their offense. The Cougs sank 7-of-17 3-pointers with Krya Garnder hitting three, Astera Tuhina hitting two and Eleonora Villa and Tara Wallack each hitting one.

Wallack’s three almost didn’t happen. In the first quarter, Murekatete nearly lost possession, before regaining control and muscling the ball to a wide-open Wallack who sunk the three to give the Cougs a 9-2 lead.

Gardner hit one 3-pointer from the right wing in the first quarter and two more in the fourth quarter.

Ethridge said she assigned Garnder to two individual workout slots on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that if she missed one she would have to go to study hall.

However, Ethridge said Gardner is the kind of player who does not need the incentive, as she takes every opportunity to improve her game.

“You just start finding kids that want to be in the gym,” Ethridge said. “She’s got a great stroke. She just needs reps.”

Ethridge said her staff has picked on Gardner, conducting these individual practice sessions twice a week with her because they see the potential in her game.

“But I think you know that’s a good thing when your coach is picking on you because they see what you’re capable of,” Ethridge said.

Gardner said she loved the “rush of adrenaline” she felt after hitting her 3-pointers. Moments that make the work worth it.

“So putting in a lot of extra hours, but definitely happy with the outcome that’s coming with it, Gardner said.

The sophomore from Raymond impacted the game with more than just her 3-point shot.

Gardner corralled the rebound after Wallack’s fourth quarter three attempt raddled off the rim. Gaining possession beyond the arc, she took a second to collect herself and sent the shot sailing through the nylon for three. Gardner’s threes were part of a 14-0 run in just over two minutes in the fourth quarter.

ANDRES DE ROBLES
Tara Wallack, Bella Murekatete and other members of the WSU bench celebrate after a big shot, March 24 in Pullman, Wash.

In the crowd Sunday afternoon were members of WSU men’s basketball’s NCAA Tournament team, including Myles Rice, Jaylen Wells and Isaiah Watts. The Cougar men, 14 hours removed from getting off the plane from Omaha, Nebraska, have been fixtures at Sunday women’s basketball games and were among the most passionate and demonstrative fans in the stands, getting on their feet multiple times during WSU’s explosive 30-point fourth quarter.

Tuhina put the game away with two clutch back-to-back 3-pointers–shots which brought Rice, Wells, Watts and company to their feet with hands in the air in disbelief.

Each of the nine players to step on the floor scored at least once and WSU clinched their second consecutive (and second-ever) 20-win season.

WSU’s next opponent, No. 2 seeded Toledo snuck past St. John’s 72-71, Sunday to advance to the quarterfinals.

WSU will extend their season with one final home game against No. 2 seeded Toledo at 6 p.m. Thursday at Beasley Coliseum. ESPN + will broadcast the game.