Myles Rice named Freshman All-American

First Cougar All-American since Klay Thompson
Myles Rice bathed in the light before WSU takes on Cal, Feb. 15, in Pullman, Wash.

Just five hours after entering the transfer portal, WSU star Myles Rice has been named to the Freshman All-American team.

Rice averaged 14.8 points, 3.8 assists and 1.6 steals per game for the Cougs, putting him second in scoring and leading the team in both assists and steals. He holds WSU’s all-time freshman record in points, assists, steals and field goals for a season, as well as the Cougs’ highest-scoring single game from a freshman with 35 points in a matchup with Stanford.

Rice won a conference record seven Pac-12 Freshman of the Week awards and was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman and All-Pac-12 First Teams. Starting every game of the season, Rice led a Cougar team that made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2008.

Rice is the first Cougar to receive All-American honors since Klay Thompson was named an honorable mention. Along with being named to the team, he was also named one of the finalists for the Kyle Macy Award, given to the best freshman in Division I men’s basketball.

While Rice has played his final game in crimson and gray, his many accolades mean he will go down in history as one of the greatest Cougs of all time. This award should boost his portal stock as he attempts to find a new program to star for.