Ask Life: Where to shop locally for back-to-school essentials?

Gear up during Week of Welcome
SHALLA NEWMAN
Get clothing, stationery and more from local businesses.

Dear Life Section,

Pullman and Moscow are such small towns. Thus, it is challenging to find good places to shop. Where do you recommend visiting for back-to-school essentials?

Sincerely,

Shopping Enthusiast Trapped in Wheat Fields

Dear Shopping Enthusiast Trapped in Wheat Fields,

Moscow is like Pullman on steroids. Like Pullman, Moscow is a small town, but you will have considerably more options for clothing and food. However, if you do not have a car or refuse to abandon Pullman luxury, you will need some nearby options.

Downtown Pullman is not only exceptional for photo shoots, it also has some appreciable stores.

You can discover clothing stores like Shirt Shack and Lily Bee’s Consignment there. I have never been inside either, so I personally cannot recommend one. Lily Bee’s Consignment seems to feature bridal items, however.

If you’re looking for thrift stores, vintage stores or cheap clothing, Pullman is your town; these shops are abundant. Try places like Palouse Treasures Thrift Store, Monarch Boutique, Goya Vintage and DREGS Vintage.

Other clothing stores in Pullman include Michelle’s Closet, Crimson & Gray and the Coug Store by College Hill.

You’ll know I love the Dollar Tree if you have read my dorm décor articles. Fortunately, there is a Dollar Tree located on Grand Avenue, along with a Walmart. Both stores are great options for decorations, and you can find inexpensive items at each one.

Walmart, of course, will have more than décor; it can also cover your food, clothing, stationery and hangout needs.

Pullman is also home to other chain stores like Safeway and Grocery Outlet.

If you are searching for stationery, a United States Postal Service building conveniently exists on Grand Avenue.

Cougs Corner Mart can satisfy late-night cravings and necessities. Of course, if you are looking for a gas station vibe, there are plenty of gas stations in Pullman, including Chevron Pullman on Bishop Boulevard, Texaco Pullman on Grand Avenue and a Mobil on Main Street.

The other downtown Pullman shop I have entered is Neill’s Flowers & Gifts. Pay them a visit! They have stunning flowers, vases and succulents for your dorm.

If you can afford a trip to Moscow, your store options are colossal.

Moscow is home to many popular stores, such as Marshall’s, Target, Ross, Old Navy, Zumiez, Staples, Michaels, Bed Bath and Beyond, Big 5 Sporting Goods, Famous Footwear and WinCo. Many of these are located inside or near the Palouse Mall. I know it is ironic, but this Moscow mall is located on Pullman Road.

Other cool Moscow stores include Tri-State Outfitters, Maurices, Buckle and The Storm Cellar. All of these shops sell clothes. I have never entered The Storm Cellar, but it holds excellent reviews and offers vintage clothing.

Looking for environmentally friendly options? Check out Grander Goods, which is located on Main Street in Pullman. Organic and sustainable stores in Moscow include Huckleberry’s Natural Market and Moscow Food Co-op.

Hopefully, you found this article enlightening. Back-to-school times can be stressful, but doesn’t a long list of awesome stores make everything better?

I wish you, and myself, the best of luck with college!

Sincerely,

The Life Section