A new look Pullman rebounds to roll into the postseason

A balanced game for both squads gave way to the Greyhounds in the second half.
Caleb+Northcroft+throws+a+pass+against+Rogers+High+School+during+first+quarter%2C+Sept.+22%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Caleb Northcroft throws a pass against Rogers High School during first quarter, Sept. 22, in Pullman, Wash.

The Pullman Greyhounds knocked off the West Valley Eagles of Spokane, by a final score of 17-14. Pullman had a fairly balanced attack on the night, featuring a good run-pass split.

West Valley was up 14-7 at the half, but Pullman prevented the Eagles from scoring in the second half.

Sophomore quarterback Connor Stewart got the nod to start again and was solid through the air for the Greyhounds. Stewart completed 13 passes on 27 attempts and finished with 139 yards passing. Although Senior Caleb Northcroft was not starting behind center, he added a field goal on the night.

Gavin Brown had a solid night of pass-catching for Pullman, leading the way in receiving. Brown finished with eight grabs for 109 yards in the contest. Champ Powaukee had two catches for five yards and Caleb Ratliff and Liam Orfe each had a grab for 10 yards.

Running back Brady Coulter was the leading rusher for Pullman, chipping in 52 yards on 15 carries, and found the endzone twice. Daniel Liaina, who was playing his first game in the backfield, provided 13 carries for 52 yards on the ground, and a catch for six yards.

West Valley’s leading receiver was Tate Lejameyer, who had two grabs for 17 yards.

Pullman kept West Valley to only 52 yards of passing in the game, as it was a slug-it-out balanced attack for both teams all game.

West Valley quarterback Ethan Turley went 9-15 for 52 yards and led the way on the ground for the Eagles with 131 rushing yards on 17 carries.

Austin Clark had 18 carries for 69 yards as well for the Eagles.

The Greyhounds will face the Selah Vikings at home to start the 2A WIAA postseason. The game will be played at 6 p.m. Friday at Pullman High School. The game will be available via the NFHS stream online.