Pullman High School football looks to right the ship

The Greyhounds take on the Shadle Park Highlanders on the road this week
Caleb+Northcroft+warms+up+on+the+sideline+while+the+Pullman+defense+is+on+the+field%2C+Sept.+22%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Caleb Northcroft warms up on the sideline while the Pullman defense is on the field, Sept. 22, in Pullman, Wash.

The Pullman Greyhounds (2-3) will be looking to end their two-game losing streak in a Greater Spokane League matchup against the Shadle Park Highlanders (4-1). The game will start at 7:30 p.m. Friday at ONE Spokane Stadium in Spokane.

PHS fell to the Okanogan Bulldogs 45-14. The Bulldogs are a member of the 2B classification, ranking two classifications below Pullman, a member of the 2A class Friday.

Okanogan is still perfect so far this season, dominating all five matchups, notably beating a bigger school this last week. The Bulldogs will now prepare for a game against Tonasket, a fellow 2B school. Okanogan looks to be a 2B title contender by a large margin and is now ranked No. 2 in the WIAA 2B RPI rankings. 

The loss unfavorably tips the scales for PHS. The Greyhounds will have to maximize every opportunity as the season reaches the midway point. A continuation of the losing streak could potentially push Pullman out of postseason contention. 

Pullman will meet the Shadle Park Highlanders off of a 36-35 win over fellow GSL opponent Rogers. Pullman lost at home to Rogers earlier this season. The Highlanders enter the game at 4-1, with a loss to West Valley of Spokane. 

Pullman quarterback, Caleb Northcroft will again be a key player, as the Greyhounds rely heavily on his presence behind center to illicit consistent offensive production. 

Northcroft will look to his safety valve in running back Brady Coulter and big-time wideout Champ Powaukee. 

At 5 feet 9 inches tall, and 160 pounds, Coulter runs with an impressive head of steam for a smaller back, often breaking arm tackles for additional yards. Coulter also provides a unique ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, earning the safety valve label on his resume. 

Standing at 6 feet 4 inches tall, Powaukee is a big target that Pullman and Northcroft should look to utilize in their screen game or the jump ball department.

The game will be broadcast via the NFHS Network’s stream, which begins at 7:30 p.m. Friday.