Free Family Fun at the Palouse Discovery Science Center

Pullman Regional Hospital-sponsored annual event from 6–8 p.m. Jan. 18 this year
COURTESY OF PALOUSE DISCOVERY SCIENCE CENTER
Dr. Jonathan Lee participating with a child at the previous Pullman Regional Hospital-funded family night.

Dreaming of becoming a doctor? Or simply want the children occupied for a few hours before bed? The Pullman Regional Hospital is sponsoring a free family night at the Palouse Discovery Science Center on from 6–8 p.m. Jan. 18. 

The science center doors open at 6 p.m. to welcome families to the first Free Family Night of the new year. The usual exhibits will be available to look at and explore, but the main event is geared toward children up to age 12 and provides hands-on activities. Children can play doctor; dress up and pretend they are in a hospital; and get involved with other activities and crafts with a focus on health and a healthy lifestyle.

Meri Joswiak, Palouse Discovery Science Center executive director, said this is the third free family night the Pullman Regional Hospital has sponsored.

“We are really fortunate and the community is really generous,” Joswiak said. 

Usually, half of the attendees of events like this are returning families, but the other half are attending for the first time. The center is expecting about 100 families for the event, Joswiak said. 

Along with the activities, Pullman pediatrician Dr. Jonathan Lee will be at the event for the third year in a row. Lee will be available at the event near the exhibits and activities, answering questions and mingling with the guests. 

“He’s just the perfect guest of honor,” Joswiak said.

Along with being a pediatrician, Lee is also the medical innovation director for the Center for Learning and Innovation in the hospital, which partners with the science center and has an exhibit of a life-sized, interactive hospital.

“It’s such a cool place. I bring my own kids there, and it’s such a great community,” Lee said.

The event is geared so children feel more comfortable in a medical setting and are educated and encouraged on healthy living, Joswiak said. Whether they want to go into the medical field in the future, or simply to a doctor’s visit, the night is focused on helping children feel empowered to ask questions and not be scared of the medical world.

Because of the science center and the communities’ involvement, there is not a lack of medical awareness in the community, Lee said. In the past, the children have been enthusiastic about the event and get involved in the activities by putting on white lab coats, listening with the stethoscopes, playing in the hospital exhibit and observing the monitors.

“I just want to be a part of that effort,” Lee said.