Standing with Planned Parenthood

With recent protests for and against Planned Parenthood nationwide, there has been debate around the organization and its services. Anti-abortion activists are attempting to defund Planned Parenthood, and health care/pro-choice advocates are calling for America to support the organization.

To have Planned Parenthood defunded – an organization that markedly supports women, and is relied upon by persons who struggle to find affordable healthcare in America – is something that simply cannot happen.

First and foremost, what persons protesting against Planned Parenthood seem to be forgetting is that this organization provides affordable healthcare to many who would otherwise be without any form of medical assistance.

“(Anti-abortion activists) are painting the wrong picture about Planned Parenthood. It’s not just a place for abortion, it’s not a ‘murder center,’” said senior Cherrise Reyes, President of the Coalition for Women Students. “I think it’s hateful to try to shut down an organization that helps women stay healthy. Where will they go if they can’t afford it elsewhere?”

Personally, as a twenty-something in college, I need access to health care that allows me to live a healthy lifestyle that aligns with my personal, professional and academic goals – having a baby is not one of those goals. Neither are developing breast cancer, contracting an STD/STI or developing other diseases that specifically affect women.

With all of the issues that can arise in our anatomy, it is a no-brainer that there needs to be a place where anyone can access the care and information they need to properly take care of their bodies. Planned Parenthood provides that space, that care and that information.

“All women everywhere, regardless of their ability to pay (Planned Parenthood takes people with and without insurance), should be able to access the healthcare that is necessary for them to live their lives as they see fit,” said Reyes.

The spectrum of services that Planned Parenthood provides is essential for people who need affordable care with well-trained professionals to guide them through the process. Having access to these services can literally be a lifesaver.

According to the Planned Parenthood 2013-14 Annual Report, out of the 10,590,433 medical services provided during that time period, 42 percent were STI/STD testing and treatment services, 34 percent were contraception services, 9 percent were cancer screening and prevention services, 3 percent were abortion services, 12 percent were other services.

Some quick math – 3 percent of 10,590,433 is 327,653. Some more numbers from the same report:  “1,440,495 emergency contraception kits provided,” and “516,000 pregnancies averted by Planned Parenthood contraception services.” The overwhelming evidence shows that Planned Parenthood is invested in providing people with all options around birth control – not just abortion.

It even says so on the Planned Parenthood website:

“If you are pregnant, you have options. If you are trying to decide if abortion is the right choice for you … Learning the facts about abortion may help you in making your decision. You may also want to learn more about parenting and adoption … Only you can decide what is best for you. But we are here to help.”

Additionally, abortion services are not funded by the federal government or by taxpayer money. Planned Parenthood receives funding from the government’s Title X Family Planning Program – and, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ website, “None of the funds appropriated under this title shall be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.” Therefore, Planned Parenthood uses no federal money to fund abortion services.

Planned Parenthood provides choices around all aspects of your health. It is important to have healthcare providers that not only do that, but also advocate for your right to access and receive that care.

That is why I stand with Planned Parenthood.

Sophia Stephens is a senior English literature and comparative ethnic studies major from Wenatchee. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of the daily evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.