Vic Mensa brings syllabus week to life

The intensity of the first week back to classes can be stressful, especially for college students. In the midst of this hectic time, the Student Entertainment Board (SEB) is presenting rapper Vic Mensa at this year’s CougFest as an antidote to the first-week jitters.

SEB has a reputation of bringing rappers to the Palouse who become well-known names in music, including A$AP Rocky, Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J. With up-and-comer Vic Mensa performing Wednesday night in the CUB Senior Ballroom, students get another opportunity to catch a great show for free.

According to SEB’s social media, DJ Ricky Frezko will be the opener.

Starting at 8 p.m., the Chicago-based rapper brings songs like “Feel That” and “U Mad,” which gained approval from rap heavyweight Kanye West, who was featured on the studio recording.

With concern for the smoke that has recently plagued the Palouse, SEB has decided to host the event in the CUB Senior Ballroom instead of on the Todd Hall steps as previously planned, said Lauren McNeill, SEB Director. Since the CUB Senior Ballroom permits space for 1,500 occupants, students are advised to arrive early.

Accompanying the music, SEB will host guest vendors as well as a twitter contest, McNeill said. By using the hashtag #WSUFeelsThat, students can tweet about what Vic Mensa should look forward to during his visit. The tweet with the most retweets wins a meet-and-greet with Vic Mensa. But at the heart of the night, SEB is most excited to host the artist at no cost for students.

Logan Webbenhurst, Director of Concerts with SEB, said that students should expect “a really hyped-up and energetic show with someone who is excited to be in Pullman.”

Mensa is wrapping up a summer tour of the U.S. and Canada as a solo name, opening for rappers like A$AP Rocky, and being on lineups for festivals such as Coachella and Soundset.

Webbenhurst said Vic Mensa’s performance will be a night to remember, with one of hip-hop’s next big names.

Reporting by Samuel Martinez