Hawks draft isn’t out of the ordinary

Nobody was shocked by the Seattle Seahawks in the 2015 NFL Draft.

This is because fans have been shocked so many times in the John Schneider/Pete Carroll era that the word holds no meaning.

The Hawks kicked things off in the second round with the selection of Michigan defensive end Frank Clark. This was the definition of a Seahawks’ pick. Clark is a guy I’m sure most have not heard of because he was dismissed from the Michigan football team last November. Combined with his off-the-field issues, this was a stereotypical pick by the Seahawks.

It seems like Clark was the guy the team was going to take all along. The Hawks have proven they are not afraid to take fliers on players with off-the-field problems and turning them into champions. Based on his highlights, and the rumors that the Seahawks aren’t going to exercise Bruce Irvin’s fifth-year option, it seems like Clark could be a cheap way to replace him.

Next man up.

In another stereotypical move, the Seahawks took Buffalo defensive tackle Kristjan Sokoli, but Pete Carroll said the plans are to move him to the offensive line—an unconventional move that paid off with J.R. Sweezy.

The most exciting pick came when the Seahawks traded up in the third round to select Kansas State wide receiver Tyler Lockett — a guy who owns just about every one of his alma mater’s receiving records, even breaking some of his father’s records in the process.

At right around 5-10, Lockett looks a lot like Paul Richardson, who was really starting to come on before a season ending injury last year. With Arizona State’s Jaelen Strong still available, the Hawks made a statement they are not concerned with height at the receiver position, and are focused on simply putting the best, most explosive players on the field.

The Seahawks also addressed the offensive line with another two picks — an area of concern since the departure of Max Unger and James Carpenter. West Virginia’s Mark Glowinski and San Diego State’s Terry Pool should provide excellent depth to a young, unknown group of lineman.

When the Seahawks draft, they don’t take big-name guys. They take diamonds in the rough. They take guys with obscure stories like Oregon State’s Obum Gwacham — a receiver turned defensive end. Their ability to think outside the box and do things in their own unique way is what makes them one of the best teams in the NFL, and will continue to make them one of the best teams in the NFL.

Beau Baily is a senior communication major from Puyallup. He can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.