Men’s basketball says bye bye bye

Former WSU guard Jackie Davis passes against Arizona at Beasley Coliseum, Feb. 15, 2015. Davis is allowed to transfer from the team.

Three Cougar basketball players were released from the program upon their request yesterday.

Head Coach Ernie Kent announced yesterday that junior forward Aaron Cheatum and freshmen guards Jackie Davis and Trevor Dunbar were granted their release and will be allowed to transfer.

“We appreciate the contributions Aaron, Jackie and Trevor have made to the program over the last year,” Kent said. “We wish all three of them nothing but the best both on and off the court.”

Of the three departing players, Dunbar was the biggest contributor last season, playing 156 minutes over the course of 16 games. Cheatum also played in 16 games, logging 92 minutes. Davis saw 56 minutes of action in just 11 games. All three players appeared blocked from climbing up the depth charts in the future.

Sophomore guards Que Johnson and Ike Iroegbu looked to have the edge over their freshmen counterparts. Also appearing ahead of them is freshman guard Ny Redding and junior college transfer Renard Suggs. Meanwhile, Cheatum saw his path blocked by sophomore forward Josh Hawkinson and junior forwards Brett Boese and Junior Longrus.

The loss of the players will give Kent three additional scholarships to offer incoming players. With having already signed four players in the early signing period in November, Kent will have an opportunity to remake the Cougar roster in just his second year at the helm. His additional three scholarships will give him the potential to sign a seven-man recruiting class.

The potential of a large recruiting class could be a building block for the future of Cougar basketball. The potential recruits will join key players Iroegbu, Johnson, Hawkinson, Boese, Redding and Longrus heading into the 2015-16 campaign as Kent and the Cougars look to build off their 13 wins from last season.

Reporting by William Cheshier