Pitch perfect: WSU takes a 2-1 series win over No. 12 California

Powerful pitching propelled the Washington State baseball team to a 2-1 series win over No. 12 California on the road last weekend.

The Cougars won their first road series against a top-15 opponent for the first time since 2014, when they took two of three this weekend at No. 12 Arizona State. The two victories against the Golden Bears provided some much-needed relief for WSU, which entered the series riding a nine-game losing streak.

Thursday’s game was a pitching duel as WSU senior Sean Hartnett and Cal freshman Jeff Bain battled it out through four scoreless innings. Hartnett worked four and 2/3 innings where he allowed two hits and two strikeouts before exiting with runners on second and third with two outs. Junior Matt Bower came in and extinguished the scoring threat, then went on to allow a hit and two runs in three innings.

The Cougars got the scoring started in the top of the fifth when sophomore redshirt sophomore Cooper Elliott hit an RBI double down the right field line, scoring freshman infielder Jack Strunc on the play. Then, with two outs, Elliott made it home when senior infielder Ian Sagdal reached on an error by the first baseman.

WSU added two more runs in the eighth when sophomore outfielder Cameron Frost belted a two-run homer to right field, sealing the 4-2 victory for the Cougars.

Senior pitcher Joe Pistorese stole the show on Friday, going the distance for the third time this season and earning the shutout victory over the Golden Bears.

It was the first shutout of the year for Pistorese, as he struck out six and allowed only four hits the entire game. Each of the four hits he allowed were singles, and only three Cal players advanced past second base.

It was the first complete game shutout for a WSU pitcher since April 2013.

The Cougars could not hold on and win the final game of the series, falling 6-2 to the Golden Bears on Saturday. WSU got on the board in the first inning when a sacrifice fly from Frost scored freshman outfielder Derek Chapman. But Cal answered in the bottom of the frame with an RBI single by senior infielder Chris Paul, evening up the score at 1-1.

Cal took advantage of a leadoff error in the fifth to help them score three runs in the frame, putting the Cougars in a 6-1 hole.

WSU starting pitcher Matt Bower suffered the loss as he went only 2.2 innings, giving up three runs on three hits. One positive from the game was freshman outfielder Wes Hatten, who improved his hitting streak to six games.

The Cougars will return home this Tuesday when they take on Gonzaga for the second time this season. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Bailey-Brayton Field and there will be a live stream of the game on wsucougars.com.

Reporting by Steffen Stroup