Brought down by the Beavs: WSU swept by OSU in Corvallis

While WSU students wrapped up their spring break vacations, the Washington State baseball team struggled to produce meaningful offense on the road against No. 25 Oregon State and lost all three games over the weekend.

In Game 1 of the series on Friday, both teams started out quietly. It took until the bottom of the third for OSU (18-5, 4-2 Pac-12) to put up two runs. Freshman catcher KJ Harrison pelted a two-run homer to left field, giving the Beavers a lead they never relinquished.

In the fifth inning, Oregon State added two more runs thanks in part to struggles by the WSU (12-11,1-5) pitching staff. Senior Sean Hartnett suffered the loss as he allowed two runs on four hits in 3.1 innings. But it was junior Matt Bower, in for relief of Hartnett, who gave up a single then three walks, which allowed the Beavers to score twice in the fifth inning.

The Cougars did add two runs in the seventh as senior catcher P.J. Jones and freshman infielder Shane Matheny scored off a single and a fielder’s choice, respectively. But OSU countered with another score in the bottom of the frame, putting the final score at 5-2 in favor of the home team.

OSU flexed its pitching strength in Saturday’s game as freshman Drew Rasmussen threw the first perfect game in the Pac-12 since 1973. According to the Pac-12 Media Guide, the last perfect game occured when Washington State’s Joe McIntosh posted an 8-0 victory against Whitworth, March 10, 1973. Rasmussen struck out 10 Cougar batters and did not allow a ball out of the infield until the end of the sixth. The Cougars only hit three balls to the outfield the entire game.

Cougar pitcher Joe Pistorese, senior, allowed three runs, five hits and struck out six as he went the distance as well. He fell to 3-2 on the season after his second straight complete game.

The final matchup of the weekend went to extra innings and, with the 2-1 win, OSU secured the series sweep. Freshman pitcher Nick Leonard started the game for the Cougars but was taken out after facing only three Beaver batters. Junior Matt Bower came in for Leonard and pitched 3.2 solid innings, giving up three hits and one run in the fifth, while striking out seven.

The Cougars’ deep bullpen came in handy yesterday as the team sent six different pitchers to the mound. It was sophomore Ian Hamilton who was given his first loss of the season as he gave up the game-winning run in the 11th inning that sealed the victory for OSU. Hamilton finished the day going 3.1, giving up two hits and a run while striking out three.

Sophomore outfielder Wes Leow drove in the Cougars’ only score of the day when his double to left center sent P.J. Jones home. The 1-1 tie lasted all the way to the 11th inning when a double to right field from OSU sophomore infielder Trever Morrison sent home the winning run.

The loss was the Cougars’ fourth straight as the team hasn’t won a game since they beat then No. 6 USC on March 14. WSU returns home to take on the UCLA Bruins with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday at Bailey-Brayton field.

Reporting by Steffen Stroup