Jazz trio gets funky

WSU faculty will get funky to raise money for the WSU School of Music scholarship fund.

The next installment in the Faculty Artist Series, the DBD Jazz Trio, will perform tonight at 8 p.m. in Kimbrough Concert Hall.

The DBD Jazz Trio, standing for “David, Brian, and David,” consists of Coordinator of Jazz Combos and instructor of music David Snider on bass, Director of Jazz Studies and instructor of music Brian Ward on piano, and special guest artist David Ward on drums.

“One of the things that’s really cool is giving David (Ward) the opportunity to play with us, giving encouragement to young students to practice hard,” Snider said. “He’s got some really good drum skills, so he’s going to play a lot and be showcased a lot.”

Special guest artist David Ward, son of Brian Ward, is currently a junior at Pullman High School and began performing in WSU music events when he was a high school freshman.

“Practice, practice, practice,” David Ward said. “You’ve got to practice if you want to go anywhere.”

The DBD Jazz Trio will also be joined by Director of the School of Music and regents professor of music Greg Yasinitsky on tenor saxophone and instructor of music Brad Ard on jazz guitar to form a jazz quartet.

The night will consist of many different styles such as Latin, swing, and funk; some selections include  “People Make the World Go ‘Round,” by the Stylistics, “Spain,” by Chick Corea, “Skateology,” by Brian Ward, “Don’t Get Sassy,” by Thad Jones featuring Greg Yasinitsky, “Strasbourg-St. Denis” by Roy Hargrove featuring Brad Ard, and “Donna-Lee” by Charlie Parker.

This will be the premiere of Ward’s composition “Skateology.”

“It is one of those tunes that I just wrote spontaneously,” Ward said. “It follows a blues form, but there’s a twist at the end.”

The Faculty Artist Series was created as a way to raise money for the student scholarship fund. General admission is $10, seniors and non-WSU students are $5, and WSU students with ID get in for free. All proceeds go directly to the School of Music scholarship fund.

“I think the whole idea is to give the whole community the chance to experience jazz. The music spans across a lot of genres and time,” Snider said. “Our motto here is ‘World Class: Face to Face.’ Students get to see their professors play and hear some really good music.”

Reporting by Corin Uchuion