The Palouse has got talent

The Palouse Project will audition for the TV competition “America’s Got Talent,” Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2015.

A local music group will make its way to Boise, Idaho, this week to try out for a spot on the next season of “America’s Got Talent.”

The Palouse Project is a nonprofit organization that mentors students in musical performance. Producer and Artistic Director Paul Tousley founded the group a year ago.

“We have so much talent in the Palouse,” Tousley said. “I felt there was a need out there for this kind of program.”

The Palouse Project was invited to try out for “America’s Got Talent” after a performance at the University of Idaho, Tousley said. The group members are making their way to Boise Tuesday for a chance at stardom.

The group is performing two songs for the audition: a cover of “I Will Follow You into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie and an original song written by a student member, Tousley said.

“It’s a lot of fun to watch them put together songs,” said Rachael Lewis, the group’s music director and a vocal performance undergrad at the University of Idaho. “They come and just jam, and they made (the original song) work.”

Students in the group are encouraged to take control of their music education and get creative with what they choose to perform, she said.

“The things these kids learn are a great step into the professional music world,” Lewis said. “It’s a head start if they choose to go into music.”

The group is made up of vocalists and instrumentalists for now, but they’re looking to add more members of every sort, Tousley said.

“The idea is to be able to put on a full musical variety concert,” he said.

To find potential new members, the group is hosting auditions from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday at the Gladish Community Center in Pullman. Students interested in trying out can sign up on their website, http://palouseproject.weebly.com/, for a chance to audition.

The Palouse Project is looking to fill a variety of instrumental spots, including trombone, guitar and violin, as well as some vocalists, and dancers from every discipline, Lewis said.

Along with performers, the group is also looking for volunteers to help with theatrical and stage directing, choreography and social media, with a possibility of earning internship credits for each, Tousley said.

The group rehearses once a week and is free to join, Tousley said.

Reporting by Dustin VandeHoef