Keep Dad entertained: there’s more in Pullman than meets the eye

Every year we invite our fathers to Pullman to enjoy the WSU life and to have a great Dad’s Weekend.

For first timers, coming up with activities to do may be a hassle. But don’t fret, there are plenty of activities to take part in that will leave your dad wanting to come back every year. The most important part about Dad’s Weekend is making sure your dad has a great time with you.

If your father has never even spent a day at WSU, you might want to start by giving him a tour around campus. You can show him around the CUB and stop by Zoe Coffeehouse and Delicatessen for the windy fall day.

One thing I know I’ll be doing with my dad, that many others will probably be doing too, is buying Cougar apparel from The Bookie or Crimson and Gray. He’ll get a new shirt for his collection, and if I’m lucky, so will I.

There is also the traditional approach to Dad’s Weekend, which includes attending the Cougar football game. This year WSU is playing Oregon State University. It will be a game most fathers won’t want to miss, and we’re favored to win. However, if your old man isn’t into sports, there are other activities that can be just as memorable.

Every year the school holds some kind of concert or show during Dad’s Weekend. This year, Heart will play. If your dad’s era is the ‘70s or ‘80s, he just might enjoy this. He’ll have a good time, and you’ll experience what he was into when he was your age, and it’ll be a bonding experience to say the least.

Still, there are those fathers who may not be into either one of these activities, or perhaps you weren’t able to snag a ticket to one of these events in time. That’s OK because there are still various local activities to participate in and around Pullman.

If you’re 21 or over, one option you might look into is taking your dad to your favorite local bars. If you’re not, there is always the option of grabbing dinner at one of Pullman’s local restaurants, such as Red Bento, Fireside Grille or South Fork Public House.

If you’re really having a hard time coming up with what to do for the weekend you can always see a movie, go bowling or gambling at Zeppoz, or even get a day pass to the Student Recreation Center and go rock climbing or play racquet ball.

You don’t have to do something extravagant to have a fun Dad’s Weekend. Just show him around and take him to the places you would usually go to, and I am sure he’ll be happy. Dad’s Weekend is all about spending quality time with your pops. No matter what you do, as long as you’re with your dad the weekend should be perfect.

-Marissa Mararac is a junior communication major from Tacoma. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this Column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.