We should know when it’s a GMO

Grocery shopping is about to get a lot more interesting.

Initiative 522, which will require labels be put on food products that have been genetically modified, goes before Washington voters on Nov. 5.

The proposal has sparked a debate between food activists and food manufacturers, who believe that this initiative is misleading and will confuse voters.

According to USA Today, 26 states have already introduced the legislation in 2013 alone.

Those who oppose I-522 say it will make consumers believe that genetically altered or engineered foods are unhealthy and unsafe.

The debate regarding this legislation should not be whether genetically modified food is good or bad. We as consumers have a right to know where our food comes from and what process it went through before it arrives at the store.

Whether or not GMOs are considered harmful or unsafe is up to the shopper to decide, but they should first understand what they’re buying.

The I-522 states there is no current federal law that requires food producers to identify the usage of genetic engineering, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not require safety studies of food that have been genetically modified.

The International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Application says potential benefits of genetically modified crops include increased farm profit and decreased farm costs. However, they also inform readers that the potential risks include the danger of unintentionally introducing allergens in food, and the toxins might affect non-targeted organisms.

If there are labels on food that indicate it’s organic, hormone-free, grass fed, or free range, there is no excuse as to why we can’t have labels informing shoppers of any genetic enhancement.

The “Yes on 522” campaign has released its first television ads, with the “No on 522” ads now following. Both commercials make reference to California, which had a similar legislation that was rejected 53 percent to 47 percent in 2012.

“Yes on 522” claims that passing the initiative will benefit all of Washington state, mainly the fishing, wheat and apple industries.

According to the Washington Research Council, “requiring producers and retailers to label products in only one state is bad policy.”

With one state comes the possibility for more states to follow. If I-522 is passed, it opens doors for other states to put similar legislation to a vote. Understanding what is added to our food before it ends up on our dinner plate shouldn’t be a privilege granted in certain states; it is a right that should be given to everyone.

In the unfortunate event that the initiative is not passed, consumers can still do research to find which food manufacturers genetically engineer their crops and which ones do not.

Biology Fortified is a website that lists companies that use GMOs. Number one on that list, for example, is Monsanto, based in St. Louis, Miss., which has the largest market share of genetically engineered crops in the world.

Knowledge is power, and when consumers know where their food is coming from they will have a better understanding of what they’re eating.

Those who already buy certified organic food will continue doing so, but those who have apprehensions as to what they are putting into their bodies will be well informed if the legislation is passed.

A well-informed shopper is a better shopper and at the end of the day whether you’re against I-522 or for it, it is simply some food for thought.

-Dominique Wald is a senior communication major from Santa Clara, Calif. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this Column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.