Reader reactions: WSU students demand cultural representation

Readers react to an article about students, faculty and community members organizing a sit-in at the WSU French Administration building Friday. The protesters came prepared with five demands for WSU officials. WSU Provost Dan Bernardo addressed the students by saying their voices had been heard and that the administration is currently working on changes.

Read the full article here.

Laurence Lance: “How does society counter the political tactic that seeks to suppress the First Amendment by pretending outrage? Political activists have been known to work at finding things to be offended by, all for the purpose of shutting off debate. That’s the very nature of political correctness.”

Randy Hein: “WSU offers every student equal opportunity in higher education. I would like for someone to show me when WSU has ever shown bias or discrimination for any student.”

Christy Nelson Greninger: “Free menstrual products? They jumped the shark, what does that have to do with safety?”

Joanne Kunze: “Peaceful protest to make a statement that needed to be said. Students of color should not fear for their lives at a University while Nazi sympathizers sit in comfort.”

Nick Backman: “All speech is free speech covered by the Constitution.”

Xyan Neider: “I’m so proud of every student there, those who spoke out, and the organization of this event. It is hard to fathom that in 2017 anyone has to actually explain that Nazis and the KKK are terrorist groups.”

Brad Pearce: “I really think the professor in this should definitely be given the benefit of the doubt that they just actually said “colored people” instead of “people of color” as an honest mistake. I have to hope the professor was trying to teach the students a larger point than that you should diligently remember preferred racial nomenclatures during presentations.