Reader Reactions: Parking issues discussed at forum

Readers react to an article about WSU community members discussing campus transportation and parking concerns at a forum Thursday. Many people expressed concern about the shortage of parking spaces and parking passes increasing in price. WSU officials are discussing the construction of new parking garages, however, to alleviate the problem.

Read the full article here.

Maren Mossman: “I used to ride the bus every day to campus. Every day I would take the bus to classes and walk home after work. Then I had kids. The lack of parking options is a growing problem for student/faculty parents who already spend a fortune on daycare services. Splitting the blue lot in two was a crappy thing for the university to do.”

Katie McDaniel: “I know they want to go mostly carless, the problem is that carless in the snow is really difficult and most of the off-campus bus routes are 45 minute loops (not counting the wait for that loop to get around to you). Not to mention the parking for the two massive sporting arenas (Martin and Beasley).”

Emma Ruggiero: “Due to the constraints on land availability on the core of campus, WSU should be looking at how urban campuses have dealt with transportation issues and considering some of their solutions.”

Derek Couse: “But it’s about planning and execution. There are some schools like UVA that don’t even allow freshmen … to have a car on campus. Point is there are options to parking that either include walking and the bus. Just wasn’t a big deal to walk no matter the weather or distance. We just did it.”

Preston Bringhurst: “My girlfriend is an instructor and her blue parking lot is now half the size it used to be, and she was forced to upgrade to red because there were no spots free every day [during the] first week of class. Parking people said it’s gonna be worse in the winter even after her upgrade to red.”