Cougars’ strength is….their strength

Seven players over 6-foot-1, four average 1+ blocks per game
Kyra Gardner skys into the air as she contests an Arizona three-pointer, Jan. 21, 2024, in Pullman, Wash.

The WSU Cougars women’s basketball team put on a display of their strength and physicality in a 79-64 win at home against the Arizona State Sun Devils. The Cougars displayed an impressive defense against the Sun Devils with 22 defensive rebounds, seven steals, and nine blocks. The number that really stands out is the nine blocks, especially when compared to ASU, who managed only two blocks. 

The Cougars’ 6 feet 2 inches tall junior Tara Wallack led the way with four blocks, followed by 6 foot 6 inches tall freshman Alex Covill who recorded three blocks. WSU’s height plays a big factor in their ability to play so well in the paint and is a big reason why the Cougs currently rank second in the Pac-12 in blocks per game. Only USC averages more blocks per game (6.4) than WSU’s average of 5.5.

Seven of the team’s 13 players are 6 or taller, with Covill standing the tallest at 6 feet 6 inches tall. It’s no surprise then, that Covill ranks sixth in the Pac-12 in blocks, as she is averaging 1.8 per game. WSU actually boasts 4 of the top 20 leaders of the Pac-12 in blocks. Wallack ranks 13th, averaging 1.2 per game, while 6 feet 3 inches tall center Bella Murekatete ranks 15th (1.1 per game), and 6 feet 1-inch tall guard Beyonce Bea ranks 17th (1.0 per game). WSU is the only Pac-12 school with four players averaging at least one block per game. 

All of that is to say, the Cougars know how to play physical basketball. 

“We have bigger guards,” Murekatete said. “Bea, who can rebound from literally anywhere.”

The Cougs have shown the ability to dominate the paint, and it’s not just one player doing it. They have a deep group of playmakers who use their height and strength to their advantage. And if the Cougs want to get back to the Pac-12 Championship game, which they won last March, they should lean on that physicality to get them there. 

The Cougars rank around the middle of the Pac-12 in most of stats. They are fifth in FG%, fifth in 3-pt%, eighth in total rebounds, sixth in assists, fifth in turnovers, and eighth in steals. Seventh in total points, seventh in offensive efficiency, sixth in defensive efficiency, and seventh in net efficiency. Those stats are the mark of a team that appears to be average. So in order to get a leg up on the competition, WSU should lead on what they do best. Play physical basketball. 

The Cougars average only 10.4 offensive rebounds per game, which is the worst in the Pac-12. They make it for it by averaging 27.7 defensive rebounds per game, but it still provokes the question: if the team can do so well at blocking shots and physically dominating their opponents, why are they unable to rebound their own shots efficiently? Head coach Kamie Ethridge had some thoughts on the team’s rebounding. 

“That will bite us, that will, we will lose games going forward if we give up those kinds of points on second chance point. So I don’t think it was a dominating performance at all, even though you know,  there’s some good things … thank goodness we got some offensive rebounding and some pull backs but we got to clean up the defensive end of the board and not let people have second chance points,” Ethridge said.

If the Cougars can lean on their size and strength, keep dominating in the paint, and improve their offensive rebounding, this is a team that can compete for the Pac-12 title. They have some big games coming up, including a road trip next weekend against No. 11 USC and No. 2 UCLA. These next three games could prove critical for the Cougars, and if they want to prove themselves in a loaded Pac-12, they need to keep doing what they do best. Outplay their opponents, and let that take them to victory.