Memorials give the community a way to remember

Memorial for deceased WSU community members helps loved ones mourn

JORDAN MAXWELL | Evergreen Photo Illustration

Memorials give visitors a chance to acknowledge members of the WSU community who died.

RIDGE PETERSON, Evergreen columnist

The tragic deaths of several WSU students, faculty and staff in the past year left an undeniable wound on the Cougar family. The loss of members of the community has been heartbreaking to those in Pullman, and it is important to remember them. Coming together as a university is critical in the healing process for those who lost someone, and creating a memorial on campus will help catalyze this process.

The goal of the university when a tragedy like this happens should be unity, compassion and understanding, and WSU should keep looking for ways to support students and staff who have lost loved ones or friends.

Fortunately, the university has taken steps in the right direction. One of the most meaningful ways WSU can help recognize and honor students and staff that died is by providing a place on campus dedicated to them. The memorial bench project that the university planned is a powerful way for the community at WSU to show they care.

This bench was first proposed and fundraised by Mandy Bickert to memorialize two friends’ children who died on Highway 26. JJ Oliver, director of leadership for the WSU Foundation, has been instrumental in the development of this project. Oliver said that after Bickert began the crowdfunding campaign, ASWSU President Jordan Frost got the university involved.

“[Bickert] raised the money, and I don’t know when Jordan came in, but he felt that it was important that the project come to fruition,” Oliver said.

The university then made the decision to expand the memorial to include student and staff members who died.

“I spoke to one student who had lost a roommate last year, and he was really excited that we were creating this memorial,” Oliver said. “I think it’s important for people who lose someone that they have some closure and ability to move forward.”

This is the most significant part of the memorial concept and it is critical that the university makes it clear that the memorial is a place where anyone who loses somebody can find peace. It is worthwhile not only for the families, but for other students and staff. It’s crucial that anybody who dies is recognized, whether they lose their life in a car crash or drug overdose, because no person deserves to be forgotten.

Having places like this on campus not only makes our community stronger, but it shows that we are more than just a university — we are a family that cares about, respects and remembers students and faculty alike.

While nothing can fully heal the wounds left by the deaths of students and staff, especially for their families, friends and classmates, providing a physical place to remember them is a meaningful start. Oliver said the news of this memorial has been met with positive reactions from students and family members.

“Knowing that the memory of someone in the Coug family will live on is very important for families and fellow Cougs,” Oliver said.