See them sketch

The final Sketch Wednesday event of the semester will take place Dec. 3, 2014 from noon to 2 p.m. in the CUB Gallery.

An art opening reception like no other, SEB’s Sketch Wednesday is an interactive forum. The event features artists from WSU, Pullman, and Moscow communities who showcase their artwork for viewers.

This year Kyla Lakin, senior fine arts major and CUB gallery programmer, and her committee has put together the event, taking place from noon to 2 p.m. today. The CUB Gallery’s theme for the last Sketch Wednesday of the semester will be the top picks from the Outdoor Photo Contest.

The interactive style is not like most art receptions, Lakin said. Often, art opening receptions can seem bland, while Sketch Wednesday is different in that guests are able to see artists create their work onsite, mingle with them, and in some cases buy artwork, she said.

“Being an artist that participated in Sketch Wednesday last year, it was interactive,” Lakin said. “Now seeing it from the gallery perspective, it is still interactive, (and) I think that the experience of being in it really solidified the interactive aspect.”

The events started last year, and Lakin said she wanted to continue them. The idea was based off a similar event at a gallery in San Francisco. However, SEB customized the event to WSU, including holding the event during the day and doing it on a Wednesday instead of Tuesday, Lakin said.

Every Sketch Wednesday features a live disc jockey, mocktails, and the unveiling of the new art exhibit. Charise Deberry is the disc jockey and will often tailor the music she plays to the feeling of the artwork, Lakin said.

Maryssa Beare, a sophomore psychology and digital technology and culture major, is a regular participant in the Sketch Wednesday events.

“It’s a good way for the student body to become potential clients and just get your name out there,” Beare said.

Beare, who does reduction drawings with pencils and pens, said being able to interact with the guest and fellow artists is a joy. When visitors come through and look twice at your piece or become interested in buying it is really encouraging, she said.

She said it is especially cool when someone wants to know the background and story behind a piece. The event not only allows artists to interact with visitors but also with fellow student and professional artists. Beare said talking to other artists opens her mind up to the possibilities of different techniques or styles and applying them to her own work.

“I’ve learned a lot just by watching the others do their thing,” she said.

Sketch Wednesdays will continue next semester.

Reporting by Amber Umayam