All the right notes; student sings for senior recital

Award-winning vocals and talented piano accompaniment will grace the Bryan Hall stage in a performance that captures the variety and skill of student musicians at WSU.

Senior vocal performance major Samantha Cottam will perform works from various time periods and in various languages at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Bryan Hall Theatre.

“Along with her fabulous accompanist, Regan Siglin, Sami will be presenting a lovely recital of vocal literature ranging from the Baroque period to 20th Century,” said professor of voice Julie Wieck. “She is extremely musical and has a beautiful voice.”

The music Cottam will perform proved to be a challenge for her, and has taken commitment and time to perfect, Wieck said.

“We chose the music and started working on some of it last spring, completing the preparation this fall,” Wieck said. “It takes that much time to fully prepare 50 minutes of vocal repertoire, which is all memorized.”

The talent and strength of both the vocalist and accompanist gave them the chance to highlight their abilities in an engaging repertoire, Wieck said.

The performance will include songs performed in Italian, a French dialect, German, Spanish, and English. Highlights will include pieces written by French composer Joseph Canteloube based on the folk songs of the Auvergne region of France.

“They are really charming with very difficult piano accompaniment, played brilliantly by Regan,” Wieck said. “A real Spanish flair is evident in the Tres Poemas of Joaquín Turina.”

Cottam has already won regional competitions held by the National Association of Teachers of Singing and is the Presser Scholar for the School of Music in her time at WSU, and her performance is sure to capture a student and community audience alike, Wieck said.

“Combined with the talents of Regan Siglin, this recital will be a wonderful representation of two of the strongest student musicians at WSU,” Wieck said

The event is free and open to the public.

Reporting by Katherine Lipp