Cultural singing compeition comes to a close

Students will shine on stage tonight at the Hong Kong Student Association’s (HKSA) singing competition comes to a finale.

HKSA held auditions two weeks ago for its annual singing competition, SingCon. The event will conclude today after eight finalists perform a series of their favorite songs.

The HKSA is a unique club that aims to extend culture beyond that of just Asian natives. Junior economics major and HKSA President Eric Au said the club consists of mostly exchange students and immigrants from overseas.

“We hold events to raise awareness about what is happening in Hong Kong, as well as what is valuable in our culture,” Au said.

Junior English major Bernice Chan is an exchange student from Hong Kong and has been a member of the HKSA since September. She is now the club’s event planner and said the association has given her the ability to approach students with different backgrounds and show them her unique culture.

“I’ve gained contact with so many organizations and people through the HKSA,” Chan said. “It’s been an eye-opening experience for me.”

Chan said she advertises the HKSA to all students, not just those on exchange. She said she goes to ESL classes to promote the HKSA and get a variety of cultures involved.

The SingCon is open to everyone no matter his or her background.

“Singing and karaoke is wildly popular to the Hong Kong people, so we wanted to host an event for everyone to come and have fun,” Au said.

WSU alumna Charlotte Wau said she participates in the SingCon every year even though she is not a member of the HKSA. Wau said she loves to sing and express herself through music.

“It’s easier to express the feelings in my heart with songs,” Wau said. “Sometimes it’s hard to use words to express how you feel, so I use my voice to touch people’s hearts.”

Wau is one of the eight finalists who will perform tonight at SingCon. She said she plans to perform four love songs, all of which are meant to express her love for her boyfriend. She sang Mama Cass’s song “Dream A Little Dream of Me” at auditions and plans to perform it for a second time in the finals.

“This song is most special to me because it really represents my feelings toward my significant other,” Wau said. “I will also be singing ‘Love is Eternity’ for my grandmother who has passed.”

Wau said SingCon allows her to meet new people and gain knowledge from her competitors. She said she likes being around other music lovers.

“My favorite part about the competition is being on stage, successfully finishing a song, then hearing my audience cheer for me,” Wau said.

Tickets can be purchased from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the HKSA table in the CUB. With purchase of a ticket, people will receive a coupon for a free appetizer at Golden Teriyaki.

The SingCon event will be held in the CUB Senior Ballroom, and doors open at 5:30 p.m.